Events, Festivals, and Sustainability: The Woodford Folk Festival, Australia
This chapter considers the issues pertaining to sustainability in relation to festivals and events. It introduces the context of festivals and events, highlighting the growth in the size and scale of the events sector. The chapter then moves on to discuss some of the key sustainability issues and challenges facing events and festivals by examining a case study of a particular event—the Woodford Folk Festival in Australia—which has addressed these challenges in innovative ways. Woodford Folk Festival can be considered as a leading example of best practice in terms of sustainable festivals. Finally, the chapter considers the lessons learned by Woodford Folk Festival in the course of meeting the sustainability challenges and also identifies important lessons for other festival and event organisers.
KeywordsEvents Festivals Community Legacy Woodford Folk Festival Australia
- Case, R. 2013. Events and the Environment. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Holmes, K., M. Hughes, J. Mair, and J. Carlsen. 2015. Events and Sustainability. Abingdon: Routledge. (2013).Google Scholar
- Jones, M. 2014. Sustainable Event Management. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Raj, R., and J. Musgrove, eds. 2009. Event Management and Sustainability. Wallingford: CABI.Google Scholar
- Allen, J., W. O’Toole, R. Harris, and I. McDonnell. 2011. Festival and Special Event Management. Milton: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Aspiration. 2010. About Aspiration—The 500 Year Plan. http://nr.woodfordfolkfestival.com/__friends/about/.
- Australian Population. 2016. Population of Brisbane. http://australiapopulation2016.com/population-of-brisbane-in-2016.html.
- Getz, D. 2013. Event Tourism: Concepts, International Case Studies and Research. Putnam: Cognizant Communication.Google Scholar
- Holmes, K., M. Hughes, J. Mair, and J. Carlsen. 2015. Events and Sustainability. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- IOC. 2012. Guide on Olympic Legacy. Lausanne: IOC.Google Scholar
- Noise11.com. 2016. Wood Folk Festival Praised for Its Tourism Impact. http://www.noise11.com/news/woodford-folk-festival-praised-for-tourism-impact-on-queensland-20141218.
- Pitts, A., and H. Liao. 2009. Sustainable Olympic Design and Urban Regeneration. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Race, R. 2015. Getting Trashed. Overland. https://overland.org.au/2015/05/getting-trashed/.
- Rawlings, A. 2016. Special Kind of Folk. http://profilemag.com.au/special-kind-of-folk/.
- Suncoast Times. 2015. Festival Growth Benefits Woodford Community. http://www.suncoasttimes.com.au/news/festival-growth-benefits-woodford-community/.
- Sunshine Coast Daily. 2016. Record Attendance at Woodford Folk Festival. http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/woodford-attendance-a-record/2888586/.
- Symons, E. 2017. Woodford Folk Festival by the Numbers. http://blog.woodfordfolkfestival.com/woodford-folkfestival- by-numbers/.
- The Planting Festival. 2016. Director’s Welcome. http://theplantingfestival.com/about/directors-welcome.html.
- Woodford Folk Festival About the Festival. 2016. https://woodfordfolkfestival.com/the-festival/about/.
- Woodford Folk Festival Environmental Statement. 2016. https://woodfordfolkfestival.com/the-festival/environmental-statement.html.
- Woodford Folk Festival Our Land. 2016. https://woodfordfolkfestival.com/the-festival/our-land.html.
- World Commission on Environment and Development. 1987. Our Common Future. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar