Brownfield Redevelopment: Recycling the Urban Environment
Brownfields are properties that are or could contain contamination, usually (but not always) due to their use for industrial or commercial purposes. Because such sites are found across the country but most notably in urban areas, finding ways to remediate and reuse them is a key urban development and environmental sustainability issue. Federal, state, and local governments have adopted policies to facilitate their reuse while protecting residents, as is evident in the redevelopment of the Waterworks Park site in Tampa, Florida. While brownfield redevelopment efforts have achieved considerable success in recent decades, the field faces limitations and challenges, most notably the possibility of reduced federal regulatory and support structures.
KeywordsBrownfields and redevelopment
- American Planning Association. 2010. Reuse: Creating Community Based Brownfield Redevelopment Strategies. www.planning.org/research/brownfields.
- Davis, L. 2011. Critics Attack Brownfield Idea. Tampa Bay Times, October 25. http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/critics-attack-brownfield-idea/1198574.
- Eisen, J.B. 2007. Brownfields at 20: A Critical Reevaluation. Fordham Urban Law Journal 34(721). Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=1921389.
- Essoka, J.D. 2010. The Gentrifying Effects of Brownfields Redevelopment. Western Journal of Black Studies 34 (3): 299–315.Google Scholar
- Fisher, B.H. 2011. Brownfields Redevelopment and Gentrification: A Socio-Economic Evaluation of the EPA Brownfields Pilot Program. Graduate Theses and Dissertations, Iowa State University, Paper 12021. http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3040&context=etd.
- Houck, J. 2014. Ulele, a Restaurant for the Next Century. Tampa Tribune, August 10. http://www.tbo.com/dining/ulele-a-restaurant-for-the-next-century-20140810/.
- Price. 2012. Sunflowers for Lead. Spider Plants for Arsenic. Metro Jacksonville, July 8. http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-jun-sunflowers-for-lead-spider-plants-for-arsenic.
- National League of Cities Sustainable Cities Institute. http://www.sustainablecitiesinstitute.org/topics/land-use-and-planning/urban-infill-and-brownfields-redevelopment.
- West Virginia Brownfields Assistance Center. http://wvbrownfields.org/.
- Western Pennsylvania Brownfields Center. https://www.cmu.edu/steinbrenner/brownfields/.