Mentorship for Mid-Career Decisions: Aspirations for Personal Organizational Leadership Opportunities
Mentoring is inarguably the most critical element for faculty advancement. However, most mentoring programs focus on early career surgeons, and too frequently mid-career surgical faculty receive little feedback or formal mentoring. Mentoring a surgeon at the mid-career level has unique challenges that are more complex. There are several roles that need to be fulfilled by a mentor and there are various strategies for mentoring. This chapter explains these challenges and the mentoring roles necessary to address them. We provide strategies on how a mentee can build an effective mentoring team. At times, it is even necessary to redefine your career path, and this chapter will describe the steps necessary to start this process. At the senior administrator level, we delineate steps toward building an effective mentoring program at your institution.
KeywordsMentor Mentoring Mid-career Mentoring team Leadership
- 1.Baldwin R, Chang D. Reinforcing our ‘keystone’ faculty: strategies to support faculty in the middle years of academic life. Lib Educ. 2006;92(4):28–35.Google Scholar
- 2.Baldwin R, DeZure D, Shaw A, Moretto K. Mapping the terrain of mid-career faculty at a research university. Change, Sept-Oct 2008, 46–55. 2008.Google Scholar
- 4.Jaschik S. Di erent paths to full professor? Inside Higher Ed. Retrieved from http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/03/05/osu.2010.
- 5.Jaschik S. Unhappy associate professors. Inside Higher Ed. Retrieved from http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2012/06/04/associate-professors-less- satis ed-those-other-ranks-survey- nds. 2012.
- 6.Mathews, K. R. Perspectives on midcareer faculty and advice for supporting them. Cambridge, MA: The Collaborative on Academic Careers in Higher Education. 2014. http://scholar.harvard.edu/files/kmathews/files/coache_mathews_midcareerfaculty_20140721.pdf.
- 7.Rockquemore KA. A new model of mentoring. Retrieved from https://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2013/07/22/essay-calling-senior-faculty-embrace-new-style-mentoring. 2013.
- 8.Rockquemore KA. Rethinking leadership. Retrieved from https://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2016/09/14/carefully-consider-next-steps-after-gaining-tenure-essay. 2016.
- 9.Wilson R. Why are associate professors some of the unhappiest people in academe? e Chronicle of Higher Education. Retrieved from http://chronicle.com/article/Why-Are-Associate-Professors/132071/. 2012.