Brief History of Mentorship
In this chapter, the history of the term “mentor” and the history of the mentor-mentee relationship are described, from its very first use in Homer’s Odyssey and Fenelon’s “The adventures of Telemachus, the son of Ulysses” to the present. The surgical mentor-mentee relationship has influenced and will undoubtedly influence the lives of surgeons all over the world.
KeywordsMentor Mentee History Halsted Cushing Blalock
- 1.Edelstein L. The Hippocratic Oath: text, translation and interpretation. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins Press; 1943.Google Scholar
- 2.Klein EA. Comprehensive etymological dictionary of the English language, vol. II. Amsterdam: Elsevier; 1967. p. 954.Google Scholar
- 3.Homer. The Odyssey. New York: Penguin; 1997.Google Scholar
- 4.Roberts A. Homer’s mentor. Duties fulfilled or misconstrued. Hist Educ Soc Bull. 1999; 64:313–29. Available in www.nickols.us/homers_mentor.pdf. Accessed 30 Mar 2017.
- 5.Fenelon F. The adventures of Telemachus, the son of Ulysses. Whitefish: Kessinger Legacy Reprints; 2010.Google Scholar
- 6.Bourgoin SM. Encyclopedia of world biography. Farmington Hills: Gale Research Inc; 1998 Supplement.Google Scholar
- 8.Caraccioli LA. The true mentor or an essay on the education of young people in fashion. Farmington Hills: Gale ECCO Print Edition; 2010.Google Scholar
- 9.Earl of Chesterfield. Letters to his son on the art of becoming a man of the world and a gentleman. London, 1774. Available https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/c/chesterfield/letters/volume4.html. Accessed 1 June 2017.
- 10.Honoria. The female mentor. Farmington Hills: Gale ECCO Print Editions; 2010.Google Scholar
- 11.Economopoulos KP, Sun R, Garvey EM, et al. Coaching and mentoring surgeons. Bull Am Coll Surg. 2014. Available http://bulletin.facs.org/2014/08/coaching-and-mentoring-modern-surgeons/. Accessed 17 May 2017.
- 15.Levinson DS, Darrow CN, Klein EB, Levinson M. Seasons of a man's life. New York: Random House; 1978.Google Scholar
- 17.Copeland IIIEM. The role of a mentor in creating a surgical way of life. Bull Am Coll Surg. 2006;12:9–13.Google Scholar
- 20.Cornwell ED III. Dr Asa Yancey and the realization of his mentor’s dream. Bull Am Coll Surg. 2016. Available http://bulletin.facs.org/2016/09/dr-asa-yancey-realization-mentors-dream/. Accessed 17 May 2017.
- 24.Klein SB. Honoring mentors: an ACS tradition. Bull Am Coll Surg. 2017. Available http://bulletin.facs.org/2017/03/honoring-mentors-acs-tradition/. Accessed 27 June 2017.