Managing Public Trust: Cases from Taiwan
In this chapter, we present four cases that demonstrate the characteristics of relevance, psychology, risk, goodwill, and decision-making in public trust. In addition, public trust is examined with regard to the use of various systems, mechanisms, and behaviors. One case describes trust in government with regard to food safety policies and use of a software system for food traceability and good agriculture practices. Three cases describe trust in businesses: the Sinon Corporation, which uses various mechanisms to establish public trust in a supermarket; a hot-pot restaurant operator, who deals with negative word-of-mouth by behavior; and a home builder, who sells real estate thanks to a positive word-of-mouth reputation.
KeywordsTaiwan Rebuilding public trust Word-of-mouth Food security
- Bo, Y. L. (2013). Food safety in Taiwan is an important issue to address. The China Post, December 1 2013. Retrieved from: http://www.chinapost.com.tw/commentary/letters/2013/12/01/394921/Food-safety.htm. Accessed 26 Dec 2016.
- Business Dictionary. (2017). Decision making. Retrieved from: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/decision-making.html. Accessed 10 July 2017.
- Chanley, V. A., Rudolph, T. J., & Rahn, W. M. (2000). The origins and consequences of public trust in government: A time series analysis. Oxford Journals, 64(3), 239–256.Google Scholar
- Council of Agriculture, Executive Yuan. (2017). Good Agriculture Practice (GAP) Label. Retrieved from: http://gap.afa.gov.tw/faq/. Accessed 10 Mar 2017.
- Culbert, S. A., & McDonough, J. J. (1986). The politics of trust and organization empowerment. Public Administration Quarterly, 10(2), 171–188.Google Scholar
- Eiser, R. & White, M. (2005). A psychological Approach to understanding how trust is built and lost in the context of risk. SCARR Conference on Trust, LES, 12th December 2005.Google Scholar
- Ferry, T. (2015). How safe is Taiwan’s Food? Taiwan Business Topics, 6 February 2015. Retrieved from: http://topics.amcham.com.tw/2015/02/taiwan-food-safety/. Accessed 26 Dec 2016.
- Global Views Monthly. (2007). 外食人口大調查 全台330萬天天外食族逼近北縣總人口, 252期,6月號. Retrieved from: https://www.gvm.com.tw/Boardcontent_13117.html. Accessed 10 July 2017.
- Hansson, S. (2004). Philosophical perspectives on risk. Techne, 8(1), 10–35.Google Scholar
- International Union of Food science and Technology. (2012). Food Traceability. Retrieved from http://iufost.org/iufostftp/IUF.SIB.Food%20Traceability.pdf. Accessed 26 Dec 2016.
- News Desk. (2014). Taiwanese Government to Establish Food Safety Agency. http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2014/10/taiwanese-government-to-establish-food-safety-agency/#.WlXnaiWY2y. Accessed 10 Jan 2018.
- Porat, S. (2017). Why trust is a critical success factor for businesses today. Entrepreneurs. Retrieved from: https://www.forbes.com/sites/vanguard/2017/07/05/how-to-save-for-retirement-do-these-3-things/#a7532c14dc38. Accessed 10 July 2017.
- Psychology Wiki. (2017). Trust (Social behavior). Psychology Wiki. Accessed 13 July 2017.Google Scholar
- Rotter, J. B. (1967). A new scale for the measurement of interpersonal trust. Journal of Personality, 35, 651–665.Google Scholar
- Sinon Corporation. (2016). Food Distribution. Retrieved from http://www.sinon.com/food-distribution.htm. Accessed 12 Apr 2017.
- Standford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. (2015). Trust. Retrieved from: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/trust/. Accessed 12 July 2017.
- Sun, C. (2011). Food safety crisis in Taiwan. Sun Chlorella, July, 5, 2011. Retrieved from: http://www.sunchlorella.com/whats-new/health-news/437.html. Accessed 26 Dec 2016.
- Taiwan Fresh Supermarket. (2016/2017). Food Safety. Retrieved from: https://www.supermarket.com.tw/News_List.html. Accessed 12 Apr 2017.
- Tourism Bureau, Republic of China (Taiwan). (2016). Taiwan. Retrieved from: http://www.taiwan.net.tw/m1.aspx?sNo=0001004. Accessed 10 Mar 2017
- Tsai, Y. W.(2015). 食安五環改革方案, Retrieved from: http://iing.tw/policies/food_safety. Accessed 10 July 2017
- Yang, C. Y. (2015). 民進黨母親節民調 8成媽媽不滿食安政策!ETNEWS. Retrieved from: http://health.ettoday.net/news/504350. Accessed 10 July 2017.