Staging Decriminalisation: Sex Worker Performance and HIV
Sex workers around the world are producing cultural outputs for sex worker audiences and others. This essay explores examples of contemporary sex worker theatre, protest, installation, performance art and more. Sex worker artists challenge stigma, pathologisation and racist anti-immigration trafficking policy, ultimately pushing for the decriminalisation of sex work. Performance has played a role in how sex workers have responded to HIV both politically and culturally in this century.
- Agustin, L. (2007). Sex at the Margins: Migration, Labour Markets and the Rescue Industry. London: Zed Books.Google Scholar
- Associated Press. (2011, May 18). Korean Sex Workers Protest Police Crackdown. Stuff. http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/5021296/Korean-sex-workers-protest-police-crackdown. Accessed 3 Mar 2017.
- Bell, S. (1994). Reading, Writing and Rewriting the Prostitute Body. Bloomington/Indianapolis: Indiana University Press.Google Scholar
- Empower Foundation. (2012a). Hit & Run: The Impact of Anti-Trafficking Policy and Practice on Sex Worker’s Human Rights in Thailand. Bangkok: Empower Foundation. http://www.plri.org/sites/plri.org/files/Hit%20and%20Run%20%20RATSW%20Eng%20online.pdf. Accessed 3 Mar 2017.
- Empower Foundation. (2012b). Working with the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. In L. Agustin (Ed.), Research for Sex Work, 13, 13–14.Google Scholar
- Hammer, P., & Lundstrom, S. (2005). Trials of Tenofovir: Mediating the Ethics of Third World Research. UTS Law Review, 7, 184–201.Google Scholar
- INPUD. (2015). Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) for People Who Inject Drugs. London: International Network of People Who Use Drugs. http://www.inpud.net/INPUD_PositionPaper_Pre-exposure_prophylaxis_PrEP_April15.pdf. Accessed 3 Mar 2017.
- Kim, H. (2011, July 6). S. Korean Sex Workers Threaten to Set Themselves on Fire to Protect Their Brothels. Today News. http://www.today.com/id/43650531/ns/today-today_news/t/s-korean-sex-workers-threaten-set-themselves-fire-protect-their-brothels/#.WFLznkugGG9. Accessed 3 Mar 2017.
- NSWP. (2016, March 8). The Story of Kumjing. NSWP. http://www.nswp.org/timeline/event/the-journey-kumjing. Accessed 25 Oct 2016.
- NSWP, APNSW & Scarlet Alliance. (2014). Sex Worker Pre-Conference AIDS2014 Consensus Statement. Consensus Statement. Melbourne: Scarlet Alliance. http://www.scarletalliance.org.au/library/consensusAIDS2014. Accessed 3 Mar 2017.
- Pearson, E. (2007). Australia. Collateral Damage (pp. 28–60). Bangkok: GAATW. https://www.iom.int/jahia/webdav/shared/shared/mainsite/microsites/IDM/workshops/ensuring_protection_070909/collateral_damage_gaatw_2007.pdf. Accessed 3 Mar 2017.
- Pebody, R. (2016, July 18). PrEP Researchers Now Focusing on the Best Ways to Get PrEP to People Who Need It. AIDS Map. http://www.aidsmap.com/PrEP-researchers-now-focusing-on-the-best-ways-to-get-PrEP-to-people-who-need-it/page/3071679/. Accessed 3 Mar 2017.
- People For Sex Worker Rights WA. (2016). Press Release. Perth: People For Sex Worker Rights WA. https://sexworkerrightswa.org/2016/02/19/19-02-2016-press-release/. Accessed 3 Mar 2017.
- Pheterson, G. (1989). A Vindication of the Rights of Whores. Seattle: Seal Press.Google Scholar
- Scarlet Alliance. (2014). Scarlet Alliance Briefing Paper on PrEP. Redfern: Scarlet Alliance. http://www.scarletalliance.org.au/library/prep_2014/view. Accessed 7 January 2018.
- Scarlet Alliance. (2015). Stepping Up to the Evidence on HIV and Sex Work: Decriminalise Sex Work Now! Sex Workers at AIDS 2014. Newtown: Scarlet Alliance. http://www.scarletalliance.org.au/library/aids2014report. Accessed 3 Mar 2017.
- Scarlet Alliance, & Fawkes, J. (2004). Sex Workers and PrEP Trials, Presentation by Janelle Fawkes for Scarlet Alliance. Australasian Society for HIV, Viral Hepatitis and Sexual Health Medicine Conference. Canberra.Google Scholar
- Scarlet Alliance, & Fawkes, J. (2008). PrEP in Cambodia, Presentation by Janelle Fawkes for Scarlet Alliance. Pan Pacific AIDS Conference. Auckland.Google Scholar
- Shannon, K., Strathdee, A. S., Goldenberg, S. M., Duff, P., Mwangi, P., Rusakova, M., Reza-Paul, S., Lau, J., Deering, K., Pickles, M. R., & Boily, M. (2015). Global Epidemiology of HIV Among Female Sex Workers: Influence of Structural Determinants. The Lancet, 385(9962), 55–71.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Stardust, Z. (2015). Coming Out, Coming Hard. In J. Lee (Ed.), Coming Out Like A Porn Star: Essays on Pornography, Protection, and Privacy. Berkeley: Three L Media.Google Scholar
- UNDP, & UNAIDS. (2012). Sex Work and the Law in Asia and the Pacific. Bangkok: UNDP. http://www.undp.org/content/dam/undp/library/hivaids/English/HIV-2012-SexWorkAndLaw.pdf. Accessed 3 Mar 2017.
- x-talk. (2010). Human Rights: Sex Work and the Challenges of Trafficking. London: x-talk. http://www.xtalkproject.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/reportfinal1.pdf. Accessed 3 Mar 2017.