A Complex Case of Endocrine Disorder: Diabetes Associated with Depression
Mood disorders and endocrine dysfunction are intimately connected where diabetes and its association with depression represent a not uncommon manifestation. Here, we present a complex case in which these two disorders are linked, sharing a common biological pathway. Examining risk factors, neurochemical and neuroanatomical changes, as well as the relevant treatment options, we explore the case and draw conclusions with respect to the link between type 2 diabetes and depression.
KeywordsDiabetes Depression Psychological treatment Patient Health Questionnaire-9 (PHQ-9)
None related to this presentation.
- 2.Cummings DM, Kirian K, Howard G, Howard V, Yuan Y, Muntner P, Kissela B, Redmond N, Judd SE, Safford MM. Consequences of comorbidity of elevated stress and/or depressive symptoms and incident cardiovascular outcomes in diabetes: results from the reasons for geographic and racial differences in stroke (REGARDS) study. Diabetes Care. 2016;39(1):101–9.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Novak M, Mucsi I, Rhee CM, Streja E, Lu JL, Kalantar-Zadeh K, Molnar MZ, Kovesdy CP. Increased risk of incident chronic kidney disease, cardiovascular disease, and mortality in diabetic patients with comorbid depression. Diabetes Care. 2016;39(11):1940–7.Google Scholar
- 4.Aguilar A. Diabetes: depression is associated with renal complications. Nat Rev Nephrol. 2016;12(8):444.Google Scholar
- 6.Sullivan MD, Katon WJ, Lovato LC, Miller ME, Murray AM, Horowitz KR, Bryan RN, Gerstein HC, Marcovina S, Akpunonu BE, Johnson J, Yale JF, Williamson J, Launer LJ. Association of depression with accelerated cognitive decline among patients with type 2 diabetes in the ACCORD-MIND trial. JAMA Psychiat. 2013;70(10):1041–7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Janssen EP, Köhler S, Stehouwer CD, Schaper NC, Dagnelie PC, Sep SJ, Henry RM, van der Kallen CJ, Verhey FR, Schram MT. The patient health questionnaire-9 as a screening tool for depression in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus: the Maastricht study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016;64(11):e201–6. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.14388. Epub 2016 Oct 26.