Causes and Consequences of Crisis in the Eurozone Periphery
This volume considers the political economy dynamics that both caused and were precipitated by the Eurozone crisis in four of the hardest-hit so-called periphery country cases—Ireland, Spain, Portugal and Greece. This introduction focuses on the broader structures that underpinned the Eurozone crisis, whereas the chapters that follow zoom in on domestic cases. It argues that a single currency designed in accordance with neoliberal ‘efficient market’ ideas was at the heart of the crisis, exacerbating dangerous economic divergences between a so-called core of creditor states and periphery of debtor states. Responses to the crisis were, it is suggested, premised on the very same neoliberal ideas and made matters worse for a struggling ‘periphery’. More effective responses exist in theory, but are politically difficult in practice.
KeywordsEurozone crisis Core–periphery Asymmetries Austerity Neoliberalism
- Baldwin, R., and F. Giavazzi, eds. 2015. The Eurozone Crisis: A Consensus View on the Causes and a Few Possible Remedies. London: CEPR Press.Google Scholar
- Begg, I. 2011. Fiscal Union for the Euro Area: An Overdue and Necessary Scenario? Bertelsmann Stiftung. Available at: http://www.bertelsmann-stiftung.de/fileadmin/files/BSt/Presse/imported/downloads/xcms_bst_dms_34969_34970_2.pdf.
- Blyth, M. 2013. Austerity: The History of a Dangerous Idea. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Bohle, D., and B. Greskovits. 2012. Capitalist Diversity on Europe’s Periphery. Ithaca/London: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Borriello, A., and A. Crespy. 2016. The EU Is at a Crossroads Between Federalism and Political Disintegration. LSE Blogs. Available at: http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2016/01/19/the-eu-is-at-a-crossroads-between-federalism-and-political-disintegration/.
- Darvas, Z.M., and Á. Leandro. 2015. The Limitations of Policy Coordination in the Euro Area Under the European Semester, No. 2015/19. Bruegel Policy Contribution.Google Scholar
- Der Spiegel. 2011. Merkel Says EU Must Be Bound Closer Together, September 7. Available at: http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/if-the-euro-fails-europe-fails-merkel-says-eu-must-be-bound-closer-together-a-784953.html.
- ———. 2012. German High Court OKs Permanent Bailout Fund with Reservations, September 12. Available at: http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/german-high-court-oks-permanent-bailout-fund-with-reservations-a-855338.html.
- Feldstein, M. 2008. Optimal Currency Areas. ECB Fifth Central Banking Conference. Available at: http://www.nber.org/feldstein/Optimal%20Currency%20Areas.pdf.
- ———. 2012. The Failure of the Euro. Foreign Affairs, January/February 2012. Available at: http://www.nber.org/feldstein/fa121311.html.
- Fishman, R.M. 2011. Portugal’s Unnecessary Bailout. The New York Times, April 12.Google Scholar
- Hopkin, J. 2015. The Troubled Southern Periphery: The Euro Experience in Italy and Spain. In The Future of the Euro, ed. M. Matthijs and M. Blyth. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Jones, E. 2015. The Forgotten Financial Union. In The Future of the Euro, ed. M. Matthijs and M. Blyth. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Kenen, P. 1969. The Theory of Optimum Currency Areas: An Eclectic View. In Monetary Problems in the International Economy, ed. R. Mundell and A. Swoboda. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Krugman, P. 2012. Revenge of the Optimum Currency Area. Opinion Piece, The New York Times. Available at: https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/revenge-of-the-optimum-currency-area/?_r=1.
- Lavery, S. 2017. Enduring Imbalances in the Eurozone. In The Coming Crisis, ed. C. Hay. Basingstoke: Palgrave.Google Scholar
- Mair, P. 2013. Ruling the Void: The Hollowing of Western Democracy. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Marsh, D. 2013. Europe’s Deadlock: How the Euro Crisis Could Be Solved—And Why It Won’t Happen. Hampshire: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- McNamara, K.R. 1998. The Currency of Ideas: Monetary Politics in the European Union. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 2015. The Forgotten Problem of Embeddedness. In The Future of the Euro, ed. M. Matthijs and M. Blyth. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Michaelides, A., and A. Orphanides, eds. 2016. The Cyprus Bail-in: Policy Lessons from the Cyprus Economic Crisis. London: Imperial College Press.Google Scholar
- Moravcsik, A. 2012. Europe After the Crisis: How to Sustain a Common Currency. Foreign Affairs 91 (May/June): 54–68.Google Scholar
- Mundell, R.A. 1961. A Theory of Optimum Currency Areas. American Economic Review 51: 657–664.Google Scholar
- Newman, S. 2015. The Reluctant Leader. In The Future of the Euro, ed. M. Matthijs and M. Blyth. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Otero-Iglesias, M. 2017. Why the Eurozone Still Backs Its Common Currency. Foreign Affairs, January.Google Scholar
- Parker, O., and Pye, R. 2017. Mobilising social rights in EU economic governance: a pragmatic challenge to neoliberal Europe. Comparative European Politics. Online first: https://doi.org/10.1057/s41295-017-0102-1.
- Regan, A. 2013. Political Tensions in Euro-Varieties of Capitalism: The Crisis of the Democratic State in Europe, EUI Working Paper, 2013/14.Google Scholar
- Ryner, M., and A. Cafruny. 2017. The European Union and Global Capitalism: Origins, Development, Crisis. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Sachi, R. 2015. Renzi’s Resignation Sparks Talks to form New Italian Government. Financial Times, December 7. Available at: www.ft.com/content/b26e1aa2-bc8c-11e6-8b45-b8b81dd5d080.
- Schmidt, V.A. 2011. Saving the Euro Will Mean Worse Trouble for Europe. Foreign Affairs, November.Google Scholar
- Trimikliniotis, N. 2013. Cyprus: Is the Eurocrisis the Beginning of the End of the Eurozone? Open Democracy, March 25. Available at: descrier.co.uk/news/world/cyprus-is-the-eurocrisis-the-beginning-of-the-end-of-the-eurozone/.
- ———. 1979. The Capitalist World Economy. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Watt, A. 2013. The German Minimum Wage Debate: Lessons from an EU Comparison. Social Europe Journal. Available at: http://www.social-europe.eu/ 2013/10/the-german-minimum-wage-debate-lessons-from-an-eu-comparison/.