Non-rhabdomyosarcoma Soft Tissue Sarcomas
Non-rhabdomyosarcoma soft tissue sarcomas (NRSTS) account for 4% of childhood malignancies in the USA with an incidence of about 500 cases per year .
Pediatric soft tissue sarcomas are classified according to the World Health Organization as seen in Table 10.1 .
NRSTS has diverse responses to radiation therapy and chemotherapy, precluding single histology trials as have been conducted for rhabdomyosarcomas (RMS).
- 1.Waxweiler TV, Rusthoven C, Proper M, Cost C, Cost N, Donaldson N, Garrington T, Greffe B, Heare T, Macy M, Liu A (2015) Non-rhabdomyosarcoma soft tissue sarcomas in children: a surveillance, epidemiology, and end results analysis validating COG risk stratifications. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 92(2):339–348CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Fletcher CD, Hogendoorn P, Mertens F, Bridge J (2013) WHO classification of tumors of soft tissue and bone, 4th edn. IARC Press, LyonGoogle Scholar
- 3.Pratt CB, Pappo AS, Gieser P, Jenkins JJ, Salzbergdagger A, Neff J, Rao B, Green D, Thomas P, Marcus R, Parham D, Maurer H (1999) Role of adjuvant chemotherapy in the treatment of surgically resected pediatric nonrhabdomyosarcomatous soft tissue sarcomas: a Pediatric Oncology Group Study. J Clin Oncol 17(4):1219CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Krasin MJ, Davidoff AM, Xiong X, Wu S, Hua CH, Navid F, Rodriguez-Galindo C, Rao BN, Hoth KA, Neel MD, Merchant TE, Kun LE, Spunt SL (2010) Preliminary results from a prospective study using limited margin radiotherapy in pediatric and young adult patients with high-grade nonrhabdomyosarcoma soft tissue sarcoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 76(3):874–878CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Wang D, Zhang Q, Eisenberg BL, Kane JM, Li XA, Lucas D, Petersen IA, DeLaney TF, Freeman CR, Finkelstein SE, Hitchcock YJ, Bedi M, Singh AK, Dundas G, Kirsch DG (2015) Significant reduction of late toxicities in patients with extremity sarcoma treated with image-guided radiation therapy to a reduced target volume: results of Radiation Therapy Oncology Group RTOG-0630 trial. J Clin Oncol 33(20):2231–2238CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Li X, Chen X, Zhang Q, Kirsh D, Petersen I, DeLaney T, Freeman C, Trotti A, Hitchcock Y, Bedi M, Haddock M, Salerno K, Dundas G, Wang D (2015) Margin reduction from image guided radiation therapy for soft tissue sarcoma: secondary analysis of Radiation Therapy Oncology Group 0630 results. Pract Radiat Oncol 6(4):e135–e140CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Wang D, Bosch W, Roberge D, Finkelstein SE, Petersen I, Haddock M, Chen YL, Saito NG, Kirsch DG, Hitchcock YJ, Wolfson AH, DeLaney TF (2011) RTOG sarcoma radiation oncologists reach consensus on gross tumor volume and clinical target volume on computed tomographic images for preoperative radiotherapy of primary soft tissue sarcoma of extremity in Radiation Therapy Oncology Group studies. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 81(4):e525–e528CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Bahig H, Roberge D, Bosch W, Levin W, Petersen I, Haddock M, Freeman C, DeLaney TF, Abrams RA, Indelicato DJ, Baldini EH, Hitchcock Y, Kirsch DG, Kozak KR, Wolfson A, Wang D (2013) Agreement among RTOG sarcoma radiation oncologists in contouring suspicious peritumoral edema for preoperative radiation therapy of soft tissue sarcoma of the extremity. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 86(2):298–303CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Spunt S, Million L, Anderson JR, Coffin CM, McCarville B, Randall RL, Parham D, Kao SC, Hayes-Jordan AA, Wolden SL, Terezakis SA, Black J, Laurie F, Kawashima E, Speights RA, Skapek S, Meyer WH, Hawkins DS, Pappo AS (2014) Risk-based treatment for nonrhabdomyosarcoma soft tissue sarcomas (NRSTS) in patients under 30 years of age: Children’s Oncology Group study ARST0332. J Clin Oncol 32(Suppl):5s. (abstr 1008)Google Scholar
- 10.Yi S, Hall W, Mathai M, Dublin A, Gupta V, Purdy J, Chen A (2012) Validating the RTOG-endorsed brachial plexus contouring atlas: an evaluation of reproducibility among patients treated by intensity-modulated radiotherapy for head-and-neck cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 82(3):1060–1064CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.O’Sullivan B, Griffin A, Dickie C, Sharpe M, Chung P, Catton C, Ferguson P, Wunder J, Deheshi B, White L, Kandel R, Jaffray D, Bell R (2013) Phase 2 study of preoperative image-guided intensity-modulated radiation therapy to reduce wound and combined modality morbidities in lower extremity soft tissue sarcoma. Cancer 119(10):1878–1884CrossRefGoogle Scholar