Efficient Subgraph Matching on Non-volatile Memory
The emerging non-volatile memory (NVM) technologies have attracted much attention due to its advantages over the existing DRAM technology such as non-volatility, byte-addressability and high storage density. These promising features make NVM a promising replacement of DRAM. Although the reading cost of NVM is close to that of DRAM, the writing cost is significantly higher than that of DRAM. Existing algorithms designed on DRAM treat read and write equally and thus are not applicable to NVM. In this paper, we investigate efficient algorithms for subgraph matching, a fundamental problem in graph databases, on NVM. We first give a detailed evaluation on several existing subgraph matching algorithms by experiments and theoretical analysis. Then, we propose our write-limited subgraph matching algorithm based on the analysis. We also extend our algorithm to answer subgraph matching on dynamic graphs. Experiments on an NVM simulator demonstrate a significant improvement in efficiency against the existing algorithms.
KeywordsNon-volatile memory Subgraph matching Graph database
This work was partially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 61532015 and 61672189).
- 3.Driskill-Smith, A.: Latest advances and future prospects of STT-RAM. In: Non-volatile Memories Workshop, pp. 11–13 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.He, H., Singh, A.K.: Query language and access methods for graph databases. In: ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, SIGMOD 2008, Vancouver, BC, Canada, pp. 405–418. DBLP, June 2010Google Scholar
- 8.Han, W.S., Lee, J., Lee, J.H.: Turbo ISO: towards ultrafast and robust subgraph isomorphism search in large graph databases. In: ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, pp. 337–348. ACM (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Bi, F., Chang, L., Lin, X., et al.: Efficient subgraph matching by postponing cartesian products. In: International Conference, pp. 1199–1214 (2016)Google Scholar
- 13.Blelloch, G.E., Fineman, J.T., Gibbons, P.B., et al.: Efficient algorithms with asymmetric read and write costs. arXiv preprint arXiv:1511.01038 (2015)
- 14.Blelloch, G.E., Fineman, J.T., Gibbons, P.B., et al.: Sorting with asymmetric read and write costs. In: ACM on Symposium on Parallelism in Algorithms and Architectures, pp. 1–12. ACM (2016)Google Scholar
- 16.Carson, E., Demmel, J., Grigori, L., et al.: Write-avoiding algorithms. In: IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, pp. 648–658. IEEE (2016)Google Scholar
- 19.Rossi, R., Ahmed, N.: The network data repository with interactive graph analytics and visualization. In: AAAI (2015)Google Scholar