The Use of the Social Networks by Elderly People in the Czech Republic and Other Countries V4
- 1.9k Downloads
In the article we will focus on the elderly people in the connection with the utilization of social networks in the Czech Republic, countries of Visegrad Group and the EU 28. Individuals use social networks for sharing materials, photos or videos, communication or posting messages. Very important is also a topic of social isolation that will be discussed in the article. The results of the statistics show that the share of seniors in the Czech Republic has an increasing trend. The utilization of social networks by elderly people has in the Czech Republic also increasing trend except for the second quarter of the 2015 year when a slight decrease was recorded. In comparison with other countries from Visegrad group and the EU 28 the Czech Republic reached lower results in the utilization of social networks. In two evaluated criteria from three the Czech Republic was comparable to Poland. The age groups show that with increasing age there is a declining trend for the use of social networks. 10.1% of the population from 55 to 64 years and 3.3% of the population over 65 use social networks in the second quarter of 2015. Data show that almost half of the elderly people that use social networks get connected almost every day.
KeywordsElderly people Social networks Statistics Utilization
This study is supported by internal research project No. 2103/2017 Investment evaluation within concept Industry 4.0 at Faculty of Informatics and Management, University of Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic. We would like to thank student Marta Martinova for cooperation in the processing of the article.
- 2.Skouby, K.E., Kivimäki, A., Haukipuro, L., Lynggaard, P., Windekilde, I.: Smart Cities and the Ageing Population. http://www.wwrf.ch/files/wwrf/content/files/publications/outlook/Outlook12.pdf
- 3.Righi, V., Sayago, S., Blat, J.: Urban ageing: technology, agency and community in smarter cities for older people. http://www.dtic.upf.edu/~ssayag/pre-print/C&T15_UrbanAgeing_AAV.pdf
- 4.Smart Cities Are Vital to Cope with the Aging Population. https://datafloq.com/read/smart-cities-vital-cope-with-aging-population/1205
- 5.Statistics about population. http://www.statistikaamy.cz/2015/05/praha-uz-neni-nejstarsim-krajem/
- 6.Health statistics and information systems, Definition of an older or elderly person. http://www.who.int/healthinfo/survey/ageingdefnolder/en/
- 12.Ahlqvist, T., Bäck, A., Halonen, M., Heinonen, S.: Social media road maps exploring the futures triggered by social media. VTT Tiedotteita - Valtion Teknillinen Tutkimuskeskus 2454, 13 (2008)Google Scholar
- 15.O’Reilly, T., Battelle, J.: Web Squared: Web 2.0 Five Years On. http://www.web2summit.com/web2009/public/schedule/detail/10194
- 16.Chen, Y.R.R., Schulz, P.J.: The effect of information communication technology interventions on reducing social isolation in the elderly: a systematic review. J. Med. Internet Res. 18(1), 11 (2016)Google Scholar
- 19.Czech Statistical Office (2015). https://www.czso.cz/csu/czso/cinnosti-provadene-jednotlivci-na-internetu
- 20.Pew Research Center. Social Media Usage 2005–2015. http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/10/08/social-networking-usage-2005-2015/
- 23.Autumn Internet courses for seniors - seniorhk.cz. http://www.hradeckralove.org/urad/internet-pro-seniory