Ethics at the Border: Transmitting Migrant Experiences
Menozzi focuses on dispossessed immigrants living inside the island of Lampedusa’s detention center, who find themselves defined by a space that is neither European Union nor home; they are subjects produced by territoriality and the stratifying process of global capitalism. Menozzi focuses on a group of European poets who have borne witness to the immigrant experience through a collection of poems, Sotto il Cielo di Lampedusa. An ethical obligation to testify to the urgency of an otherwise silent struggle demands that they attempt to give voice to the interaction between the “inside” and “outside” of European citizenship and experience. Such discourse of the European border moves the margins into the center and challenges the definition of European identity.
- Adorno, Theodor. 1980. “Commitment.” In Aesthetics and Politics. Trans. Ronald Taylor, 177–195. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Agamben, Giorgio. 2002. Remnants of Auschwitz. Trans. Daniel Heller-Roazen. New York: Zone.Google Scholar
- Anzaldúa, Gloria. 1981. Borderlands/La Frontera. San Francisco: Aunt Lute.Google Scholar
- Balibar, Etienne. 2002. Politics and the Other Scene. Trans. Christine Jones, James Swenson, and Chris Turner. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Bhabha, Homi K. 1998. “Making Emptiness.” Anish Kapoor. http://anishkapoor.com/185/making-emptiness-by-homi-k-bhabha. Accessed 15 Jan 2016.
- Derrida, Jacques. 1979. Living On. In Deconstruction and Criticism, ed. Harold Bloom et al., 62–142. London: Continuum.Google Scholar
- Friese, Heidrun. 2012. Border Economies. Lampedusa and the Nascent Migration Industry. Shima: The International Journal of Research into Island Cultures 6 (2): 66–84.Google Scholar
- Ginzburg, Carlo. 2000. No Island Is an Island. New York: Columbia UP.Google Scholar
- Gomez-Pena, Guillermo. 1996. The New World Border. San Francisco: City Lights.Google Scholar
- Green, André. 1996. On Private Madness. London: Karnac.Google Scholar
- Menozzi, Filippo. 2014. Postcolonial Custodianship: Cultural and Literary Inheritance. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- MultiVERSI. 2015. Sotto il Cielo di Lampedusa. Vol. 2. Milan: Rayuela.Google Scholar