Accurate Pulmonary Nodule Detection in Computed Tomography Images Using Deep Convolutional Neural Networks
- 9.7k Downloads
Early detection of pulmonary cancer is the most promising way to enhance a patient’s chance for survival. Accurate pulmonary nodule detection in computed tomography (CT) images is a crucial step in diagnosing pulmonary cancer. In this paper, inspired by the successful use of deep convolutional neural networks (DCNNs) in natural image recognition, we propose a novel pulmonary nodule detection approach based on DCNNs. We first introduce a deconvolutional structure to Faster Region-based Convolutional Neural Network (Faster R-CNN) for candidate detection on axial slices. Then, a three-dimensional DCNN is presented for the subsequent false positive reduction. Experimental results of the LUng Nodule Analysis 2016 (LUNA16) Challenge demonstrate the superior detection performance of the proposed approach on nodule detection (average FROC-score of 0.893, ranking the 1st place over all submitted results), which outperforms the best result on the leaderboard of the LUNA16 Challenge (average FROC-score of 0.864).
This work was partially supported by National Basic Research Program of China (973 Program) (grant no. 2015CB352502), NSFC (61573026) and the MOE-Microsoft Key Laboratory of Statistics and Machine Learning, Peking University. We would like to thank the anonymous reviewers for their valuable comments on our paper.
- 3.He, K., Zhang, X., Ren, S., Sun, J.: Delving deep into rectifiers: surpassing human-level performance on imagenet classification. In: IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 1026–1034 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Lin, M., Chen, Q., Yan, S.: Network in network (2013). arXiv:1312.4400
- 5.Ren, S., He, K., Girshick, R., Sun, J.: Faster R-CNN: towards real-time object detection with region proposal networks. In: Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, pp. 91–99 (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Setio, A.A.A., Traverso, A., Bel, T., et al.: Validation, comparison, and combination of algorithms for automatic detection of pulmonary nodules in computed tomography images: the luna16 challenge (2016). arXiv:1612.08012
- 9.Simonyan, K., Zisserman, A.: Very deep convolutional networks for large-scale image recognition. In: International Conference on Learning Representations, pp. 1–9 (2015)Google Scholar
- 11.Zagoruyko, S., Komodakis, N.: Wide residual networks (2016). arXiv:1605.07146