Fintech and the Financing of SMEs and Entrepreneurs: From Crowdfunding to Marketplace Lending
For the last decade economists have been preoccupied with the decline in bank financing to small businesses and entrepreneurs. We examine the market and policy instruments that in some sense encourage more bank lending to SMEs. This leads us naturally to explore the recent surge in Fintech lending that has affected the ability of SMEs and entrepreneurial firms to obtain loans. We consider recent evidence that the growth of alternative online lending has supplied new competition to traditional banks and is beginning to disrupt the tradition of business of lending. Finally, we examine the regulatory responses to Fintech in 17 jurisdictions. We examine the first time that venture capitalists invest in fintech companies to determine whether there is a meaningful connection between levels of investment and regulatory choice. Our findings have implications for how regulation is likely to play an important role in the development of Fintech.
- Abrams, E. 2017. Securities Crowdfunding: More than Family, Friends and Fools? Social Science Research Network. https://papers.ssrn.com/abstract=2902217. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.
- Ayadi, R., and S. Gadi. 2013. Access by MSMEs to Finance in the Southern and Eastern Mediterranean: What Role for Credit Guarantee Schemes? European Commission, MEDPRO Technical Report No. 35/2013.Google Scholar
- Belleflamme, Paul, Nessrine Omrani, and Martin Peitz. 2016. Understanding the Strategies of Crowdfunding Platforms. CESifo DICE Report 2: 6–10.Google Scholar
- Cambridge Centre for Alternative Finance/KPMG. 2016. Sustaining Momentum: The 2nd European Alternative Finance Industry Report. September. https://assets.kpmg.com/content/dam/kpmg/xx/pdf/2016/09/sustaining-momentum.pdf. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.
- Cumming, Douglas J., Gaël Lefoeuf, and Armin Schweinbacher. 2015. Crowdfunding Models: Keep-it-All vs. All-Or-Nothing. Social Science Research Network. https://papers.ssrn.com/abstract=2447567. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.
- Cumming, Douglas J., and Armin Schwienbacher. 2016. Fintech Venture Capital. Social Science Research Network. http://ssrn.com/abstract=2784797. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.
- Deutsche Bank. 2017. Synthetic Securitisation: Making a Silent Comeback. EU Monitor: Global Financial Markets, February 21. http://dbresearch.de
- ———. 2015. Moving Mainstream—The European Alternative Financing Benchmark Report. February. http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/EY-and-university-of-cambridge/$FILE/EY-cambridge-alternative-finance-report.pdf. Accessed 20 Apr 2017.
- European Central Bank. 2015. Survey on the Access to Finance of Enterprises in the Euro Area, October 2014 to March 2015. June. https://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/other/SAFE_website_report_2014H2.en.pdf. Accessed 20 Apr 2017.
- Feng, Yan, Xinlu Fan, and Yeujun Yoon. 2015. Lenders and Borrowers’ Strategies in Online Peer-to-Peer Lending Market: An Empirical Analysis of PPDai.com. Journal of Empirical Research 16: 242–260.Google Scholar
- Global Agenda Council. 2015. The Future of FinTech: A Paradigm Shift in Small Business Finance. October. www3.weforum.org/
- Haddad, Christian, and Lars Hornuf. 2016. The Emergence of the Global Fintech Market: Economic and Technological Determinants. CESifo Working Paper No. 6131. https://papers.ssrn.com/abstract=2830124. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.
- Kolodny, Lora. 2013. AngelList and Beyond: What VCs Really Think of Crowdfunding. Wall Street Journal. October 8. http://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2013/10/08/angellist-and-beyond-what-vcs-really-think-of-crowdfunding/. Accessed 20 Apr 2017.
- KPMG. 2017a. The Pulse of FinTech Q4 2016: Global Analysis of Investment in FinTech. February 21. https://assets.kpmg.com/content/dam/kpmg/xx/pdf/2017/02/pulse-of-fintech-q4-2016.pdf. Accessed 20 Apr 2017.
- ———. 2017b. US Fintech Funding Drops in 2016: KPMG Report. February 21. https://home.kpmg.com/us/en/home/insights/2017/02/us-fintech-funding-and-deal-volume-drop-significantly-in-2016-kpmg-q4-16-pulse-of-fintech-report.html. Accessed 20 Apr 2017.
- Lewis, Neil. 2013. Business Angels vs Equity Crowdfunding: 7 Key Differences. iBusinessAngel. http://www.ibusinessangel.com/2013/04/business-angels-vs-equity-crowdfunding/. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.
- Mills, Karen, and Brayden McCarthy. 2014. The State of Small Business Lending: Credit Access during the Recover and How Technology May Change the Game. Harvard Business School Working Paper 15-004. https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/abstract=2470523. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.
- Mittal, Alex. 2016. Read the Fine Print Before You Turn to Equity Crowdfunding. Mattermark. April 25. https://mattermark.com/read-fine-print-turn-equity-crowdfunding/. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.
- Morgan Stanley Research. 2015. Can P2P Lending Reinvent Banking? June 17. https://www.morganstanley.com/ideas/p2p-marketplace-lending. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.
- Morse, Adair. 2015. Peer to Peer Crowdfunding: Information and the Potential for Disruption in Consumer Lending. National Bureau of Economic Research. http://www.nber.org/papers/w20899. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.
- OECD. 2013. SMEs and Entrepreneurs 2013: An OECD Scorecard. April 17. http://www.oecd.org/officialdocuments/publicdisplaydocumentpdf/?cote=CFE/SME(2012)12/FINAL&docLanguage=En. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.
- ———. 2015. New Approaches to SME and Entrepreneurship Financing. https://www.oecd.org/cfe/smes/New-Approaches-SME-full-report.pdf. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.
- ———. 2016. Financing SMEs and Entrepreneurs 2016: Highlights. April. http://www.oecd.org/cfe/smes/financing-smes-and-entrepreneurs-23065265.htm. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.
- Parker, Geoffrey G., Marshall W. van Alsyne, and Sangeet P. Choudary. 2016. Platform Revolution: How Networked Markets Are Transforming the Economy—And How to Make Them Work For You. New York: W.W. Norton and Company.Google Scholar
- Philippon, Thomas. 2016. The FinTech Opportunity. National Bureau of Economic Research. http://www.nber.org/papers/w22476. Accessed 28 Apr 2017.
- ———. 2016. Blurred Lines: How Fintech is Shaping Financial Services. March. https://www.pwc.se/sv/pdf-reports/blurred-lines-how-fintech-is-shaping-financial-services.pdf. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.
- Saha, A., and J. Parsont. 2017. Regulation Crowdfunding: A Viable Capital-Raising Method for Tech Companies? http://clsbluesky.law.columbia.edu/2017/03/06/regulation-crowdfunding-a-viable-capital-raising-method-for-tech-companies/
- Vismara, Silvio. 2016. Information Cascades Among Investors in Equity Crowdfunding. Enterpreneurship Theory and Practice. https://doi.org/10.1111/etap.12261.
- World Economic Forum. 2015. The Future of FinTech: A Paradigm Shift in Small Business Finance. October. http://www3.weforum.org/docs/IP/2015/FS/GAC15_The_Future_of_FinTech_Paradigm_Shift_Small_Business_Finance_report_2015.pdf. Accessed 20 Feb 2017.