Male Robot-Assisted Radical Cystectomy
Radical cystectomy and lymphadenectomy remains the recommended treatment for muscle invasive bladder cancer (MIBC) and selected high grade non-muscle invasive bladder cancer (NMIBC) (Alfred et al., Eur Urol 71:462–475, 2017; Tan et al., Cancer Treat Rev 47:22–31, 2016). The cohort of patients requiring this procedure are often elderly with multiple co-morbidities secondary to long standing tobacco smoking and exposure to environmental carcinogens. In addition, the technical challenging nature of radical cystectomy can result in significant morbidity and mortality (Tan et al., Adv Urol 2015:7, 2015). Efforts to minimise perioperative complications have led to the development of minimal invasive cystectomy (Tan et al., Scand J Urol 50:95–103, 2016). Parra et al. described the first laparoscopic cystectomy operation in 1992 however, it was not widely adopted due to technical challenges of intracoproreal urinary diversion reconstruction (Parra et al., J Urol 148:1140–1144, 1992).
- 21.Khetrapal P, Tan WS, Lamb B, Nathan S, Briggs T, Shankar A, et al. Port-site metastases after robotic radical cystectomy: a systematic review and management options. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2016;29:012.Google Scholar
- 24.Tan WS, Lamb BW, Sridhar A, Briggs TP, Kelly JD. A comprehensive guide to perioperative management and operative technique for robotic cystectomy with intracorporeal urinary diversion. Urologia. 2017;27:5000224.Google Scholar
- 27.Tan WS, Khetrapal P, Tan WP, Rodney S, Chau M, Kelly JD. Robotic assisted radical cystectomy with extracorporeal urinary diversion does not show a benefit over open radical cystectomy: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. PLoS One. 2016;11:e0166221.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 29.Tan WS, Lamb BW, Tan M-Y, Ahmad I, Sridhar A, Nathan S, et al. In-depth critical analysis of complications following robot-assisted radical cystectomy with intracorporeal urinary diversion. Eur Urol Focus. 2016.Google Scholar
- 30.Tan WS, Sridhar A, Ellis G, Lamb B, Goldstraw M, Nathan S, et al. Analysis of open and intracorporeal robotic assisted radical cystectomy shows no significant difference in recurrence patterns and oncological outcomes. Urol Oncol. 2016;34:8.Google Scholar