Reflection: Now We Get It!
Reflection is an obligation for medical professionals from the moment they enter medical school until retirement. This can often lead to reflection feeling like a ‘tick box’ requirement to pass a course, particularly for those at the start of their careers, still reading for their primary medical qualification. In this chapter, Corry-Bass, Critchfield and Pang consider how their initial scepticism about a Student Selected Component focused on reflection through digital storytelling led to a revelation about how powerful this method is for acknowledging and understanding past clinical events and learning from them. The authors are also able to draw on this experience and consider how it continues to influence them as they progress through their postgraduate training and medical practice.
The stories created as part of this project can be viewed on the Patient Voices website at www.patientvoices.org.uk/lssc.htm.
- Blasco, P. G., Moreto, G., Roncoletta, A. F., Levites, M. R., & Janaudis, M. A. (2006). Using movie clips to foster learners’ reflection: Improving education in the affective domain. Family Medicine-Kansas City, 38(2), 94.Google Scholar
- Corry-Bass, S. (2008a). Care of the dying. Pilgrim Projects. Retrieved May 2017, from http://www.patientvoices.org.uk/flv/0259pv384.htm
- Corry-Bass, S. (2008b). Your type. Pilgrim Projects. Retrieved May 2017, from http://www.patientvoices.org.uk/flv/0260pv384.htm
- Critchfield, M. (2008). Yeah, I’ll go. Pilgrim Projects Limited. Retrieved May 2017, from http://www.patientvoices.org.uk/flv/0257pv384.htm
- GMC. (2015). Outcomes for graduates (tomorrow’s doctors). General Medical Council, ManchesterGoogle Scholar
- Janaudis, M. A., Fleming, M., & Blasco, P. G. (2011). The sound of music: Transforming medical students into reflective practitioners. Creative Education, Special Issue on Medical and Health Education, 4, 49–52.Google Scholar
- Pang, W. (2008a). Be patient with us. Pilgrim Projects Limited. Retrieved May 2017, from http://www.patientvoices.org.uk/flv/0261pv384.htm
- Pang, W. (2008b). Can I have a hand, please? Pilgrim Projects Limited. Retrieved May 2017, from http://www.patientvoices.org.uk/flv/0262pv384.htm