Stochastic Data Transformation Boxes for Information Security Applications
Stochastic methods are commonly referred to as methods which are directly or indirectly based on using a pseudo-random number generator (PRNG). In some cases, stochastic methods are the only possible mechanism of protecting information from an active adversary. In this paper we examine a construction of R-boxes, which are a generalization of S-boxes, classical structural elements of cryptographic primitives of hashing, block and stream encryption. R-boxes are in fact stochastic adders, i.e. adders with an unpredictable operating result, which depends on the key table H. A distinguishing feature of R-boxes is their efficient software and hardware implementation.
KeywordsStochastic transformation R-box Random Feedback Shift Register (RFSR) Non-linear M-sequence
The publication is prepared in accordance with the scientific research under the Agreement between the Federal State Autonomous Educational Institution of Higher Education “National Research Nuclear University MEPhI” and the Ministry of Education and Science № 14.578.21.0117 on 27.10.2015. The unique identifier for the applied scientific research (project) is RFMEFI57815X0117.
- Osmolovsky, S.A.: Stochastic Methods of Data Transmission. Radio i Svyaz, Moscow (1991)Google Scholar
- Osmolovsky, S.A.: Stochastic Methods of Information Defense. Radio i Svyaz, Moscow (2003)Google Scholar
- Asoskov, A.V., Ivanov, M.A., Mirsky, A.A., et al.: Stream Ciphers. Kudits-Obraz, Moscow (2003)Google Scholar
- Stallings, W.: The RC4 stream encryption algorithm, 5 July 2016. people.cs.clemson.edu/~jmarty/courses/Spring-2016/CPSC424/papers/RC4ALGORITHM-Stallings.pdf
- Hammood, M.M., Yoshigoe, K., Sagheer, A.M.: RC4-2S: RC4 stream cipher with two state tables, 5 July 2016. ualr.edu/computerscience/files/2014/01/Paper-12.pdf
- McKague, M.E.: Design and analysis of RC4-like stream ciphers, 5 July 2016. etd.uwaterloo.ca/etd/memckagu2005.pdf
- Rivest, R.L., Schuldt, J.C.N.: Spritz—a spongy RC4-like stream cipher and hash function, 5 July 2016. people.csail.mit.edu/rivest/pubs/RS14.pdf
- Ivanov, M.A., Vasilyev, N.P., Chugunkov, I.V., et al.: Three-dimensional pseudo-random number generator for implementing in hybrid computer systems. Vestnik NRNU MEPhI 1(2), 232–235 (2012a)Google Scholar
- Ivanov, M.A., Chugunkov, I.V.: Cryptographic methods of information defense in the computer systems and networks: teaching guide. National Research Nuclear University MEPhI, Moscow (2012b)Google Scholar
- Ivanov, M.A., Spiridonov, A.A., Chugunkov, I.V., et al.: Three-dimensional data stochastic transformation algorithms for hybrid supercomputer implementation. In: Proceedings of 17th IEEE Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference, Beirut, Lebanon, pp. 451–457 (2014)Google Scholar
- GOST R 34.12-2015. Information Technology. Cryptographic Information Defense. Block Ciphers. Standartinform, Moscow (2015)Google Scholar
- Ivanov, M.A., Chugunkov, I.V., Matsuk, N.A., et al.: Stochastic Methods of Information Defense in Computer Systems and Networks. Kudits-Press, Moscow (2009)Google Scholar