Biliary Pain and a Normal Ultrasound
The routine investigation for patients with suspected biliary pain is a trans-abdominal ultrasound scan . Whilst ultrasound is minimally invasive, low cost and easy to perform, their accuracy may be influenced by multiple factors such as operator skill, patient body habitus, fasting status and the presence of small gallstones or biliary sludge [2, 3].
We would like to thank Dr. Lily Shen from the Department of Nuclear Medicine, Nepean Hospital, NSW, Australia for the provision of the CCK-HIDA images for inclusion in this chapter.
- 7.Dave RV, Pathak S, Cockbain AJ, Lodge JP, Smith AM, Chowdhury FU, Toogood GJ. Management of gallbladder dyskinesia: patient outcomes following positive 99m technetium (Tc)- labelled hepatic iminodiacetic acid (HIDA) scintigraphy with cholecystokinin (CCK) provocation and laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Clin Radiol. 2015;70:400–7.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Mathivanan M, Meddings L, Shaffer EA. Biliary dyspepsia: functional gallbladder and sphincter of oddi disorders, dyspepsia—advances in understanding and management InTech, 2013; Doi: https://doi.org/10.5772/56779. Available from: http://www.intechopen.com/books/dyspepsia-advances-in-understanding-and-management/biliary-dyspepsia-functional-gallbladder-and-sphincter-of-oddi-disorders CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.DiBaise JK, Richmond BK, Ziessman HA, Everson GT, Fanelli RD, Maurer AH, Ouyang A, Shamamian P, Simons RJ, Wall LA, Weida TJ, Tulchinsky M. Cholecystokinin-cholescintigraphy in adults: consensus recommendations of an interdisciplinary panel. Clin Nucl Med. 2012;37(1):63–70.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.ROME Foundation. ROME III diagnostic criteria for functional gastrointestinal disorders. 2016. Webpage on the internet. http://www.romecriteria.org/assets/pdf/19_RomeIII_apA_885-898.pdf. Accessed 29 Nov 2016.
- 22.Ziessman HA, Tulchinsky M, Lavely WC, Gaughan JP, Allen TW, Maru A, Parkman HP, Maurer AH. Sincalide-stimulated cholescintigraphy: a multicentre investigation to determine optimal infusion methodology and gallbladder ejection fraction normal values. J Nucl Med. 2010;51:277–81.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Holes-Lewis K, Hakim S, Rehman F, Nabi H, Uhde T. CCK-induced gallbladder hyperkinesia: an indication for cholecystectomy and brain-GI connectivity research. J Nucl Med. 2009;50(S2):1312.Google Scholar
- 24.Cook CH, Kisner J, Melvin WS, Olsen J, Pozderac R, Martin LC. Biliary hyperkinesia: a new indication for cholecystectomy. Soc Surg Aliment Tract. 1999; Available from http://meetings.ssat.com/abstracts/99ddw/ddw6.cgi.