This chapter will discuss the epidemiology, workup, staging, treatment recommendations, key studies and radiation treatment techniques for cervical cancer.
KeywordsCervical cancer Cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN) Radiation treatment for cervical cancer
We thank R. Scott Bermudez MD and Kim Huang MD for their work on the prior edition of this chapter.
- Dueñas-González A, Zarbá JJ, Patel F, et al. Phase III, open-label, randomized study comparing concurrent gemcitabine plus cisplatin and radiation followed by adjuvant gemcitabine and cisplatin versus concurrent cisplatin and radiation in patients with stage IIB to IVA carcinoma of the cervix. J Clin Oncol. 2011;29(13):1678–85.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Edge S, Byrd DR, Compton CC, Fritz AG, Greene FL, Trotti A. AJCC cancer staging handbook. New York: Springer; 2011.Google Scholar
- Haie-Meder C, Pötter R, Van Limbergen E, et al. Recommendations from Gynaecological (GYN) GEC-ESTRO Working Group (I): concepts and terms in 3D image based 3D treatment planning in cervix cancer brachytherapy with emphasis on MRI assessment of GTV and CTV. Radiother Oncol. 2005;74(3):235–45.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lim K, Small W Jr, Portelance L, et al. Consensus guidelines for delineation of clinical target volume for intensity-modulated pelvic radiotherapy for the definitive treatment of cervix cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011;79:348–55.Google Scholar
- National Cancer Institute Surveillance. Epidemiology, and End Results Program (SEER). 2016. http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/corp.html. Accessed 22 Aug 2016.
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology: Cervical Cancer (Version 1.2016). 2016. https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/cervical.pdf. Accessed 27 Aug 2016.
- PDQ Screening and Prevention Editorial Board. Cervical Cancer Screening (PDQ®): Health Professional Version. 4 Mar 2016.Google Scholar
- Pötter R, Haie-Meder C, Van Limbergen E, et al. Recommendations from gynaecological (GYN) GEC ESTRO working group (II): concepts and terms in 3D image-based treatment planning in cervix cancer brachytherapy-3D dose volume parameters and aspects of 3D image-based anatomy, radiation physics, radiobiology. Radiother Oncol. 2006;78(1):67–77.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rose PG, Ali S, Watkins E, et al. Long-term follow-up of a randomized trial comparing concurrent single agent cisplatin, cisplatin-based combination chemotherapy, or hydroxyurea during pelvic irradiation for locally advanced cervical cancer: a gynecologic oncology group study. J Clin Oncol. 2007;25:2804–10.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rose PG, Java J, Whitney CW, et al. Nomograms Predicting Progression-Free Survival, Overall Survival, and Pelvic Recurrence in Locally Advanced Cervical Cancer Developed From an Analysis of Identifiable Prognostic Factorsin Patients From NRG Oncology/Gynecologic Oncology Group Randomized Trials of Chemoradiotherapy. J Clin Oncol. 2015;33:2136–42.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sedlis A, Bundy BN, Rotman MZ, et al. A randomized trial of pelvic radiation therapy versus no further therapy in selected pts with stage IB carcinoma of the cervix after radical hysterectomy and pelvic lymphadenectomy: a gynecologic oncology group study. Gynecol Oncol. 1999;73:177–83.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975–2012. National Cancer Institute. 2016. http://seer.cancer.gov/archive/csr/1975_2012/results_merged/sect_05_cervix_uteri.pdf. Accessed 26 Aug 2016.
- The American Cancer Society guidelines for the prevention and early detection of cervical cancer. 2016. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cervicalcancer/moreinformation/cervicalcancerpreventionandearlydetection/cervical-cancer-prevention-and-early-detection-cervical-cancer-screening-guidelines. Accessed 26 Aug 2016.
- Vargo JA, Kim H, CHOI S, et al. Extended field intensity modulated radiation therapy with concomitant boost for lymph node-positive cervical cancer: analysis of regional control and recurrence patterns in the positron emission tomography/computed tomography era. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014;90(5):1091–8.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Viswanathan AN. Uterine cervix. In: Halperin CE, Wazer DE, Perez CA, Brady LW, editors. Principles and practice of radiation oncology. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2013. p. 1355–425.Google Scholar
- Viswanathan AN, Dizon DS, Gien LT, Koh W. Cervical cancer. In: Gunderson LL, Tepper JE, editors. Clinical radiation oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia: Churchill Livingstone; 2015. p. 1173–1202.e6.Google Scholar
- Whitney CW, Sause W. Randomized comparison of fluorouracil plus Cisplatin versus Hydroxyurea as an adjunct to radiation therapy in stage IIB-IVA carcinoma of the cervix with negative para-aortic lymph nodes: a gynecologic oncology group and southwest oncology group study. 1999:1137-1143. J Clin Oncol. 1999;17(5):1339–48.CrossRefGoogle Scholar