This chapter will discuss workup, treatment, and management of esophageal cancer with focus on radiotherapy studies and techniques.
KeywordsEsophageal cancer Squamous cell carcinoma Adenocarcinoma Radiotherapy
We thank Charlotte Dai Kubicky MD, PhD, and Marc B. Nash MD for their work on the prior edition of this chapter.
- Adelstein DJ, Rice TW, Rybicki LA, et al. Mature Results from a Phase II Trial of Postoperative Concurrent Chemoradiotherapy for Poor Prognosis Cancer of the Esophagus and Gastroesophageal Junction.J Thor Oncol. 2009;4(10):1264–69.Google Scholar
- Bang Y-J, Van Cutsem E, Feyereislova A, et al. Trastuzumab in combination with chemotherapy versus chemotherapy alone for treatment of HER2-positive advanced gastric or gastro-oesophageal junction cancer (ToGA): a phase 3, open-label, randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2010;376:687–97.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bonnetain F, Bouche O, Michel P, et al. A comparative longitudinal quality of life study using the Spitzer quality of life index in a randomized multicenter phase III trial (FFCD 9102): chemoradiation followed by surgery compared with chemoradiation alone in locally advanced squamous resectable thoracic esophageal cancer. Ann Oncol. 2006;17:827–34.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gaspar LE, Winter K, Kocha WI, Coia LR, Herskovic A, Graham M. A phase I/II study of external beam radiation, brachytherapy, and concurrent chemotherapy for patients with localized carcinoma of the esophagus (radiation therapy oncology Group study 9207): final report. Cancer. 2000;88:988–95.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Goodman KA, Niedzwiecki D, Hall N, et al. 2017. Initial results of CALGB 80803 (alliance): a randomized phase II trial of PET scan-directed combined modality therapy for esophageal cancer. ASCO GI.Google Scholar
- Penniment MG, Harvey JA, Wong R, et al. A randomized phase III study in advanced esophageal cancer (OC) to compare the quality of life (QoL) and palliation of dysphagia in patients treated with radiotherapy (RT) or chemoradiotherapy (CRT) TROG 03.01 NCIC CTG ES.2. J Clin Oncol. 2015;33(suppl 3; abstr 6)Google Scholar