This chapter will discuss the management of DCIS, early-stage, and locally advanced breast cancers, with an emphasis on radiation therapy technique and published data.
KeywordsBreast cancer DCIS Whole breast radiotherapy Partial breast radiotherapy Postmastectomy radiotherapy
- American Society of Breast Surgeons. https://www.breastsurgeons.org/new_layout/about/statements/PDF_Statements/APBI.pdf. (2011).
- Early Breast Cancer Trialists’ Collaborative Group. Effect of radiotherapy after mastectomy and axillary surgery on 10-year recurrence and 20-year breast cancer mortality: meta-analysis of individual patient data for 8135 women in 22 randomized trials. Lancet. 2014;383:2127–35.Google Scholar
- Strnad V, et al. 5-year results of accelerated partial breast irradiation using sole interstitial multicatheter brachytherapy versus whole-breast irradiation with boost after breast-conserving surgery for low-risk invasive and in-situ carcinoma of the female breast: a randomised, phase 3, non-inferiority trial. Lancet. 2016;367(10015):229–38.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Vaidya JS, Joseph DJ, Tobias JS, et al. Targeted intraoperative radiotherapy versus whole breast radiotherapy for breast cancer (TARGIT-A trial): an international, prospective, randomized, non-inferiority phase 3 trial. Lancet. 2010;376:91–102.Google Scholar
- Van Dongen JA, Voogd AC, Fentiman IS, Legrand C, et al. Long-term results of a randomized trial comparing breast-conserving therapy with mastectomy: European organization for research and treatment of cancer 10801 trial. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2000;92:1143–50.Google Scholar
- White J, et al. Long-term cancer outcomes from study NRG oncology/RTOG 9517: a phase 2 study of accelerated partial breast irradiation with multicatheter brachytherapy after lumpectomy for early-stage breast cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016;95(5):1460–5.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
© Springer International Publishing AG, part of Springer Nature 2018