Small Cell Lung Cancer
This chapter will discuss the workup, staging, and management of small cell lung cancer, with an emphasis on radiation therapy treatments and published data.
KeywordsSmall cell lung cancer Radiation therapy Chemotherapy Prophylactic cranial irradiation
We thank R. Scott Bermudez MD, Brian Missett MD, and Daphne A. Haas-Kogan MD for their work on the prior edition of this chapter.
- Faivre-Finn C, Snee M, Ashcroft L, et al. CONVERT: an international randomised trial of concurrent chemo-radiotherapy (cCTRT) comparing twice-daily (BD) and once-daily (OD) radiotherapy schedules in patients with limited stage small cell lung cancer (LS-SCLC) and good performance status (PS). J Clin Oncol. 2016;34. (suppl; abstr 8504).Google Scholar
- Komaki R, Paulus R, Ettinger DS, Videtic GM, Bradley JD, Glisson BS, Choy H. A phase II study of accelerated high-dose thoracic radiation therapy (AHTRT) with concurrent chemotherapy for limited small cell lung cancer: RTOG 0239. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:7s (suppl; abstr 7527).Google Scholar
- Le Pechoux C, Dunant A, Senan S, et al. Standard-dose versus higher-dose prophylactic cranial irradiation (PCI) in patients with limited-stage small-cell lung cancer in complete remission after chemotherapy and thoracic radiotherapy (PCI 99-01, EORTC 2203-08004, RTOG 0212, and IFCT 99-01): a randomised clinical trial. Lancet Oncol. 2009;10:467–74.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- National comprehensive cancer network clinical practice guidelines in oncology: small cell lung cancer. Available at: http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/PDF/sclc.pdf. Accessed 31 Aug 2016.
- Tsuchiya R, Suzuki K, Ichinose Y, et al. Phase II trial of postoperative adjuvant cisplatin and etoposide in patients with completely resected stage I-IIIa small cell lung cancer: the Japan Clinical Oncology Lung Cancer Study Group Trial (JCOG9101). J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2005;129(5):977–833.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar