Modelling, Simulation and Optimization of Solar-Assisted Absorption Cooling Systems
This study addresses the optimal design of solar-assisted absorption cooling systems and corresponding operating conditions considering total cost and environmental concerns. The basic idea of an absorption cooling system is to replace the electricity consumed by the compressor used in a conventional cooling system by a thermally driven absorption-desorption system that operates with a suitable fluid pair consisting of one refrigerant and one absorbent.
The environmental performance of the solar cooling system was determined using the life cycle assessment (LCA) methodology. The Eco-indicator 99 metric along with its subdamage categories was also used in calculating the environmental impacts. The problem involves two different systems: absorption cycle and solar collector system. The model was written before using the generalized algebraic modelling system (GAMS). The same model was used to integrate a broader environmental analysis. Additionally, in the scope of this thesis, the problem related to the absorption cycle itself was introduced in MATLAB and ASPEN Plus programs, and the optimization was performed. Generalized reduced gradient (GRG) method was selected for the solution in GAMS. In MATLAB, the problem was solved using genetic algorithm.
KeywordsAbsorption cooling Solar-assisted cooling GAMS MATLAB Aspen Plus
- CEPCI: Chemical engineering plant cost index, Technical report, (2009)Google Scholar
- Gebreslassie, B.H., Gosálbez, G.G., Jiménez, L., Boer, D.: Solar assisted absorption cooling cycles for reduction of global warming: a multi-objective optimization approach. Renew. Energy. 86, 2083–2094 (2012)Google Scholar
- Henning, H.M.: Solar Assisted Air Conditioning in Buildings: A handbook for Planners, vol. 135. Springer, Wien/New York (2004)Google Scholar
- Jimenez, M.: Life cycle assessment of a solar absorption cooling system, Research Report, Universitat Rovira I Virgili – SUSCAPE Research Group, 12 (2009)Google Scholar
- MATLAB.: Product overview. MATLAB (2013)Google Scholar
- Rosenthal, R.E.: Gams: A user’s guide, Washington, Gams Development Corporation, 261p, (2010)Google Scholar
- Tunca, N.Y.: Modeling, simulation and optimization of solar assisted absorption cooling systems, MSc Thesis, Ege University, Chemical Engineering Department (2014)Google Scholar