Conclusion: Transitioning from the ‘Old’ to the ‘New’ Political Economy of Oil and Gas
Oil and gas continues to occupy the attention of policy makers, industry and the wider public alike. Petroleum’s legacy is deeply embedded in politics and security, evidenced by OPEC and politicisation of oil and gas, the strategic importance of access to reserves by international oil companies, the role of elite, and the rise of petrostates and National Oil Companies’ exercise of control over resources. The multifaceted picture of international oil and gas is being made more complicated at the time of writing this volume following the signing of the 2015 Paris Agreement.
- Fattouh, B., and A. Sen. 2016. Saudi Arabia’s Vision 2030, Oil Policy and the Evolution of the Energy Sector. Oxford Institute for Energy Studies, Oxford Energy Comment, July. https://www.oxfordenergy.org/wpcms/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Saudi-Arabias-Vision-2030-Oil-Policy-and-the-Evolution-of-the-Energy-Sector.pdf.
- Henderson, J., and T. Mitrova. 2016. Energy Relations Between Russia and China: Playing Chess with the Dragon. Oxford Institute for Energy Studies Paper: WPM 67, August. https://www.oxfordenergy.org/wpcms/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Energy-Relations-between-Russia-and-China-Playing-Chess-with-the-Dragon-WPM-67.pdf.
- Käpylä, J., and H. Mikkola. 2015. On Arctic Exceptionalism: Critical Reflections in the Light of the Arctic Sunrise Case and the Crisis in Ukraine. The Finnish Institute of International Affairs Working Paper 85, April. http://www.fiia.fi/assets/publications/wp85.pdf.
- Raszewski, S. 2016. To Be or Not To Be? OPEC Summit and the Essence of Decision and Compliance. Valdai Expert Opinion, December 2.Google Scholar
- Umbach, F., and M. Kuhn. 2011. Strategic Perspectives on Unconventional Gas: A Game Changer with Implications for the EU’s Energy Security, EUCERS Strategy Paper, vol. 1, May 1. https://www.kcl.ac.uk/sspp/departments/warstudies/research/groups/eucers/pubs/strategy-paper-1.pdf.
- Yusuf, R. 2015. How Innovation Is Disrupting the Energy Industry. World Economic Forum, August 14. https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2015/08/how-innovation-is-disrupting-the-energy-industry/.