Torture Laid Bare: Global English and Human Rights
The prohibition against torture is a well settled, absolute right in international law and human rights. As such, it presents an ideal case to understand what is at stake in human rights generally. The chapter considers the definitions of ‘torture’ contained in the UN Convention Against Torture and the Rome Statute, and then attempts to distill their essence into clear explanatory texts in Minimal English. This offers a way of thinking about the being at the heart of human rights: the human person.
- Association for the Prevention of Torture. 2008. Torture in International Law, a Guide to Jurisprudence, with Centre for Justice and Intentional Law. APT and CEJIL.Google Scholar
- Cobain, Ian. 2010. Cruel Britannia: A Secret History of Torture. London: Portobello Books.Google Scholar
- Cunniffe, Diarmuid. 2013. The Worst Scars Are in the Mind: Deconstructing Psychological Torture. ICL Journal: Vienna Journal of Constitutional Law 7: 1(13): 1–59 https://www.icl-journal.com/download/00de8a26f5d95a1cd7a02862d30f34fa/ICL_Thesis_Vol_7_1_13.pdf. Accessed 9 Feb 2016.
- Harper, Julianne. 2009. Defining Torture: Bridging the Gap Between Rhetoric and Reality. Santa Clara Law Review 49: 893–928.Google Scholar
- Hathaway, Oona A., Aileen Nowlan, and Julia Spiegel. 2012. Tortured Reasoning: The Intent to Torture Under International and Domestic Law. Virginia Journal of International Law 52: 791–837.Google Scholar
- ICC. 1998. Rome Statute. https://www.icc-cpi.int/nr/rdonlyres/ea9aeff7-5752-4f84-be94-0a655eb30e16/0/rome_statute_english.pdf. Accessed 15 Feb 2016.
- Ingelse, Chris. 2001. United Nations Committee Against Torture: An Assessment. The Hague: Kluwer Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- Klayman, Barry M. 1978. The Definition of Torture in International Law. Temple Law Quarterly 51: 499–517.Google Scholar
- Lewis, Michael W. 2010. A Dark Descent into Reality: Making the Case for an Objective Definition of Torture. Washington and Lee Law Review 67: 77–136.Google Scholar
- Luban, David, and Henry Shue. 2011. Mental Torture: A Critique of Erasures in US Law. Georgetown Law Journal 100: 823–863.Google Scholar
- Miller, Gail. 2005. Defining Torture. Floersheimer Center for Constitutional Democracy, Occasional Paper 3. Available at http://www.cardozo.yu.edu/programs-centers/floersheimer-center-constitutional-democracy/publications. Accessed 12 May 2015.
- Mooney, Annabelle. 2014. Human Rights and the Body. Farnham: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- Rodley, N. 1997. Special Rapporteur on Torture, U.N. Doc. E/CN.4/1997/7, (Jan 10) at www.unhchr.ch/Huridocda. Accessed 12 May 2015.
- Saif-Alden Wattad, Mohammed. 2008. The Torturing Debate on Torture. Northern Illinois Law Review 29: 1–49.Google Scholar
- Scarry, Elaine. 1985. The Body in Pain: The Making and Unmaking of the World. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Schechter, Rebecca. 2003. Intentional Starvation as Torture: Exploring the Gray Area Between Ill-Treatment and Torture. American University International Law Review 18: 1233–1270.Google Scholar
- Tiersma, Peter. 2001. The Rocky Road to Legal Reform: Improving the Language of Jury Instructions. Brooklyn Law Review 66 (4): 1081–1119.Google Scholar
- Turner, Bryan S. 2006. Vulnerability and Human Rights. University Park: Penn State University Press.Google Scholar
- UN. 1966. International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. http://www.ohchr.org/en/professionalinterest/pages/ccpr.aspx. Accessed 8 May 2015.
- ———. 1984. Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Punishment or Treatment. http://www.ohchr.org/EN/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/CAT.aspx. Last Accessed 2 Oct 2015.
- Weissbrodt, David, and Cheryl Heilman. 2011. Defining Torture and Cruel, Inhuman and Degrading Treatment. Law and Inequality 29: 343.Google Scholar
- Wierzbicka, Anna. 1996. Semantics: Primes and Universals. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 2014a. Imprisoned in English. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Wolcher, Louis. 2006. How Legal Language Works. Harvard Journal of Legislation 2: 91–125.Google Scholar
- Wordbanks Online. n.d. Collins Wordbanks Online. http://wordbanks.harpercollins.co.uk. Accessed 12 June 2015.