The Role of Next of Kin in Care Transitions
In this chapter, Dyrstad and Storm draw attention to the important role that next of kin play in care transitions, especially for vulnerable or older patients. The chapter describes the legal responsibility of healthcare professionals to involve next of kin and then discusses theories of relevance to the understanding of the next of kin’s role in transitional care. The chapter uses relevant literature and empirical examples to provide new understandings and proposes a conceptual model for the role of next of kin in care transitions. Lastly, the chapter offers suggestions about the next of kin’s role from the healthcare professionals’ perspective.
- Bøckmann, K., & Kjellevold, A. (2015). Next of kin in health- and care services (Vol. 2). Bergen: Fagbokforlaget.Google Scholar
- Bristol Inquiry, T. B. R. I. (2001). Learning from Bristol. The report of the public inquiry into children’s heart surgery at the Bristol royal infirmary1984–1995. Retrieved from UK: https://psnet.ahrq.gov/resources/resource/5187/learning-from-bristol-the-report-of-the-public-inquiry-into-childrens-heart-surgery-at-the-bristol-royal-infirmary-1984-1995
- Department of Health. (2010). NHS commission board in the United Kingdom equity and excellence. Liberating the NHS. The Stationary Office Limited. ISBN 9780101788120.Google Scholar
- Department of Health and Care Services. (1999). Norwegian health personnel act, LOV-1999-07-02-64 C.F.R. § IS-8/2012.Google Scholar
- Dyrstad, D. N., & Storm, M. (2016). Interprofessional simulation to improve patient participation in transitional care. Scandinavian Journal Caring Science. doi: 10.1111/scs.12341.
- Dyrstad, D. N., Laugaland, K. L., & Storm, M. (2015a). An observational study of older patients’ participation in hospital admission and discharge – Exploring patient and next of kin perspectives. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 14. doi: 10.1111/jocn.12773.
- Eika, M., Espnes, G. A., Söderhamn, O., & Hvalvik, S. (2014). Experiences faced by next of kin during their older family members’ transition into long-term care in a Norwegian nursing home. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 23(15/16), 2186–2195, 2110p. doi: 10.1111/jocn.12491.
- Folkehelseinstituttet. (2016). PassOpp report 2016: 147. Inpatients’ experiences with somatic hospitals in 2015, National Results, Norway.Google Scholar
- Grimmer, K., Moss, J., Falco, J., & Kindness, H. (2006). Incorporating patient and career concerns in discharge plans: The development of a practical patient-centred checklist. Internet Journal of Allied Health Sciences & Practice, 4(1), 8p.Google Scholar
- Institute of Medicine, I. (2001). Crossing the quality chasm: A new health system for the 21st century. Retrieved from www.iom.edu.
- Laugaland, K., Aase, K., & Waring, J. (2014). Hospital discharge of the elderly-an observational case study of functions, variability and performance-shaping factors. BMC Health Services Research, 14(365), 15.Google Scholar
- National Knowledge Centre for Health. (2012). Inpatients’ experiences with Norwegian hospitals. National results in 2011 and changes from 2006. Retrieved from Oslo: http://www.kunnskapssenteret.no/publikasjoner/pasienterfaringer-med-norske-sykehus-nasjonale-resultater-i-2011-og-utvikling-fra-2006
- National Knowledge Centre in Health Services. (2016). Inpatients’ experiences with somatic hospitals in 2015. National results (2016: 147). Retrieved from: http://www.kunnskapssenteret.no/publikasjoner/pasienterfaringer-med-norske-sykehus-i-2015.resultater-etter-en-nasjonal-undersokelse
- Nolan, M., Grant, G., & Keady, J. (1996). Understanding family care. Bristol: Open University Press.Google Scholar
- Norwegian Ministry of Health and Care Services. (2001). The acts of human rights in Norway. 2. July 1999 no. 63.Google Scholar
- Norwegian Ministry of Health and Care Services. (2009, June). Samhandlingsreformen: Rett behandling – på rett sted – til rett tid. St. meld. nr. 47 (2008–2009).[Coordination reform Proper treatment – at the right place and right time. Report no 47 to the Storting]. (St. meld. nr. 47 (2008–2009). Report no 47 to the Storting). Oslo Retrieved from Hort version in English available from http://www.regjeringen.no/upload/HOD/Dokumenter%20INFO/Samhandling%20engelsk_PDFS.pdf.
- WHO. (1994). A declaration on the promotion of patients’ rights in Europe. European Consultation on the Rights of Patients. Amsterdam 28–30 March. ICP/HLE 121. http://www.who.int/genomics/public/eu_declaration1994.pdf?ua=1
- Wrobleski, D., Joswiak, M., Dunn, D., Maxson, P., & Holland, D. (2014). Discharge planning rounds to the bedside: A patient- and family-centered approach. Medsurg Nursing, 23(2), 111–116.Google Scholar