Tracing the Impact of the Council of Europe Anti-torture Committee on Albania’s Prison System
The aim of this contribution is to understand the role and impact of international monitoring bodies on prisons, mainly the Committee for the Prevention of Torture (CPT) and its relation with national institutional frameworks, such as the National Preventive Mechanisms (NPMs) and other local and international civil society actors in the framework of the applicability of the ratified international human rights and humanitarian law. The focus on human rights and proper treatment of detained persons was part of the 12 key priorities of the 2010 European Commission (EC)’s Opinion on Albania’s application for membership of the European Union (EU), and it still remains part of Albania’s necessary reforms towards the EU Integration. This chapter provides an analysis of the country’s developments with regard to incorporation of a human rights approach as part of the criminal justice reforms. Special emphasis is put on the role and impact of local and independent prison oversight as a key indicator in preventing, denouncing, and/or redressing violations of the rights of detained persons.
KeywordsAlbania CPT Prison monitoring
- Albanian Helsinki Committee. 2012. Report: Pre-detention and Prison Conditions in Albania. Tirana: Komiteti Shqiptar i Helsinkit.Google Scholar
- Albanian Prison Directorate. n.d. Statistics. s.d., Tirana. http://www.dpbsh.gov.al. Accessed May 2016.
- Albanian Rehabilitation Centre for Trauma and Torture. 2012. Alternative Report. Unpublished Report, Tirana.Google Scholar
- ———. 2015. Monitoring of Places of Detention in Albania. Unpublished report, Tirana.Google Scholar
- Amnesty International. 1997. Concerns in Europe: January–June 1997 (EUR 01/006/1997). London: Amnesty International. http://www.refworld.org/docid/45bf13272.html. Accessed 7 Sep 2016.
- ———. 2004. Albania: Inhuman and Degrading Detention Conditions in Police Stations—Steps Towards Reform. (EUR 11/001/2004). London: Amnesty International. https://www.amnesty.org/en/documents/eur11/001/2004/en/. Accessed Sep 2016.
- Commissioner for Human Rights of the Council of Europe. 2016. Compilation and Summary. Universal Periodic Review. http://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/UPR/Pages/ALSession19.aspx. Accessed Sep 2016.
- European Commission. 2008. Progress Report on Albania 2008 (Com(2008)674). Brussels: European Commission.Google Scholar
- ———. 2009. Progress Report on Albania 2009 (Com(2009)533). Brussels: European Commission.Google Scholar
- ———. 2010. Commission Opinion on Albania’s Application for Membership of the European Union (COM(2010) 680). Brussels: European Commission.Google Scholar
- ———. 2011. Progress Report on Albania 2011 (SEC(2011) 1205 final). Brussels: European Commission.Google Scholar
- ———. 2013. Progress Report on Albania 2013 (SWD(2014) 304 final). Brussels: European Commission.Google Scholar
- ———. 2014. Progress Report on Albania 2014 (COM (2014)700 Final of 8.10.2014). Brussels: European Commission.Google Scholar
- European Institute of Tirana. 2012. Monitoring Report: Enhancing Access to the Justice System in Albania: Human Rights Protection in the Pre-trial Detention System, Tirana.Google Scholar
- Gashi, R. 2012. Types of Prisons and Labour Camps and the Position of Convicted Persons in Albania During the Communist Dictatorship. Thesis 1: 27–50.Google Scholar
- Human Rights Watch. 1992. Report on Albania. https://www.hrw.org/reports/1992/WR92/HSW-01.htm. Accessed 15 Sep 2016.
- Leskoviku, M., and E. Papavangjeli. 2011. On the Assessment of the Request and Complaint Mechanism in the Prisons. Tirana: OSCE.Google Scholar
- Muižnieks, Nils. Commissioner for Human Rights of the Council of Europe. 2014. Report following his visit to Albania from 23 to 27 September 2013 (CommDH(2014)1). Strasbourg: Council of Europe.Google Scholar
- Musta, A. 1993. Mandela’s of Albania, ‘Naim Frashëri’. Tirana: Toena.Google Scholar
- ———. 2000. Prisons of the Prison State. Tirana: Toena.Google Scholar
- Ombudsman. 2003. 2003 Annual Report. Tirana. http://www.avokatipopullit.gov.al/. Accessed Mar 2016.
- ———. 2012. 2012 Annual Report. Tirana. http://www.avokatipopullit.gov.al/. Accessed Mar 2016.
- OSCE. 2013. Report on Conditions in Albanian Prisons and Recommendations for Reform. Tirana: OSCE. http://www.osce.org/albania/104571?download=true. Accessed Sep 2016.
- Papavangjeli, E. 2013. Convicted Women and Their Reintegration in Society—Gender Perspective in the Criminal Justice System. Unpublished Ph.D., Tirana.Google Scholar
- Sufaj, F. 2000. The History of Albanian Prisons During XX-th Century. Tirana: Albin.Google Scholar
- Sula, H., and P. Kaso. 1995. The Dictatorship…. Tirana: Alta.Google Scholar
- Transparency International. 2012. Corruption Perception Index. https://www.transparency.org/.
- UN CAT. 2012. Concluding Observations on Albania. CAT/C/ALB/CO/2. http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Countries/ENACARegion/Pages/ALIndex.aspx
- UN Human Rights Committee. 2013. Concluding Observations on Albania. CCPR/C/ALB/CO/2. http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Countries/ALIndex.aspx
- Walmsley, R. (2005). Prisons in Central and Eastern Europe. HEUNI Paper No. 22. The European Institute for Crime Prevention and Control, affiliated with the United Nations, Helsinki.Google Scholar
- Zegalli, Z. 1999. Confessions from the Prison of Communist Dictatorship. Tirana: Koha.Google Scholar