Lobar Ultrasonography in the Diagnosis of the Benign and Malignant Lesions of the Male Breast
This chapter describes and illustrates a new approach of the diagnosis of the male breast, with distinction between the physiological and pathological gynecomastia, pseudo-gynecomastia, and male breast cancer. The anatomical Ultrasonography (US) scanning and interpreting using the radial and antiradial technique offers the possibility to understand the development of the lobar architecture of the male breast similar to the first stages of development of the female breast. The use of Doppler and of the sonoelastography (SE) as complementary techniques realizes a new concept of the Full Breast US (FBU), which allows a better differential diagnosis and may reduce both unnecessary biopsies and the cost of additional techniques of radiological and imaging diagnosis.
KeywordsMale breast Ultrasonography Lobar ultrasound anatomy Gynecomastia Male breast cancer
- 2.Georgescu A, Enachescu V. The diagnosis of gynecomastia by Doppler ductal US: etiopathogenic, endocrine and imaging correlations. Vienna: ECR; 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1594/ecr2010/C-0420.Google Scholar
- 14.Teboul M, Halliwell M. Atlas of ultrasound and ductal echography of the breast. Oxford: Blackwell Science Inc; 1995.Google Scholar
- 15.Teboul M. Practical ductal echography: guide to intelligent and intelligible Ultrasound imaging of the breast. Madrid: Saned Editors; 2003.Google Scholar
- 18.Georgescu A, Enachescu V. The diagnosis of gynecomastia by Doppler ductal US. Etiopathogenic, endocrine and imaging correlations – partial data. Med Ultrason. 2009;11(3):33–40.Google Scholar
- 19.Ueno E, Iboraki P. Clinical application of US elastography in the diagnosis of breast disease. ECR 5–9 March, Vienna, Austria. 2004.Google Scholar
- 30.Stavros AT, Rapp LC, Parker HS. Breast ultrasound. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2004.Google Scholar
- 32.American College of Radiology. Illustrated breast imaging reporting and data system (BI-RADS): ultrasound. Reston, VA: American Coll. of Radiology; 2003. http://www.acr.org/deparments/stand_accred/birads/us_assess.pdf.Google Scholar
- 33.D’Orsi CJ, Sickles EA, Mendelson EB, et al. ACR BI-RADS ® Atlas, breast imaging reporting and data system. Reston VA: American Coll. of Radiology; 2013.Google Scholar
- 35.Georgescu A, Bondari S, Manda A, Andrei EM. The differential diagnosis between breast cancer and fibro-micro-cystic dysplasia by full breast US - a new approach. Vienna: ECR; 2012. https://doi.org/10.1594/ecr2012/C-0167. EPOS™.