Automatic Breast Ultrasound Scanning
From the experience acquired on the six automatic breast ultrasound machines presented by the manufacturers, we show the advantages and limitations of this technique in this brief chapter.
In the future of automatic breast scanners expected to be growing, we present some aspects of the ideal equipment which some technicians are already beginning to develop.
This equipment must involve the notion of an ultrasound lobar approach of the breast which is the only one to allow a standardization of the method, to lay out strict examination protocols and define diagnostic criteria already analysed in previous chapters of this book.
KeywordsAutomated breast scanner Lobar analysis Radial technique Dense breast
- 1.Wojcinski S, Farrokh A, Hille U, Wiskirchen J, Gyapong S, Soliman AA, Degenhardt F, Hillemanns P. The automated breast volume scanner (ABVS) initial experiences in lesion detection compared with conventional handheld B-mode ultrasound: a pilot study of 50 cases. Int J Womens Health. 2011;3:337–46.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 2.Giger ML, Inciardi MF, Edwards A, Papaioannou J, Drukker K, Jiang Y, Brem R, Brown JB. Automated breast ultrasound in breast cancer screening of women with dense breasts: reader study of mammography-negative and mammography-positive cancers. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2016;206:1341–50.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Brem R, Tabar L, Duffy S, Inciardi M, Guingrich J, Hashimoto B, Lander M, Lapidus R, Petreson M, Rapelyea J, Roux S, Schilling K, Shah B, Torrente J, Wynn R, Miller D. Assessing improvement in detection of breast cancer with three-dimensional automated breast US in women with dense breast tissue : the Somolnsight study. Radiology. 2015;274(3):663–73.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Duric N, Boyd N, Littrup P, Sak M, Myc L, Li C, West E, Minkin S, Martin L, Yaffe M, Schmidt S, Faiz M, Shen J, Melnichouk O, Li Q, Albrecht T. Breast density measurements with ultrasound tomography: a comparison with film and digital mammography. Med Phys. 2013;40:013501. PMID: 23298122 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 13.Golatta M, Baggs C, Schweitzer-Martin M, Domschke C, Schott S, Harcos A, Scharf A, Junkermann H, Ranch G, Rom J, Sohn C, Heil J. Evaluation of an automated breast 3D-ultrasound system by comparing it with hand-held ultrasound (HHUS) and mammography. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2015;291:889–95. PMID: 25311201 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar