Introduction: European Union External Environmental Policy
The global environment is, by many measures, in a perilous state. There are, however, signs of progress in terms of governance responses, such as the Paris Agreement on climate change. Against this backdrop, this book charts the role the European Union has played in shaping environmental policies beyond its borders. Over recent decades, the EU has developed into an important actor in global environmental governance. However, systematic analysis of the EU’s environmental policies has largely focused on its internal environmental policies and how the EU pursues its environmental objectives within its own borders, somewhat neglecting the EU’s external environmental policies. This introductory chapter elaborates the analytical framework and concepts employed in the book and provides an overview of the content of the chapters.
- Bretherton, Charlotte, and John Vogler. 2006. The European Union as a Global Actor. 2nd ed. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Delreux, Tom. 2011. The EU as International Environmental Negotiator, Global Environmental Governance Series. Farnham: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- ———. 2012. The Rotating Presidency and the EU’s External Representation in Environmental Affairs: The Case of Climate Change and Biodiversity Negotiations. Journal of Contemporary European Research 8 (2): 210–227.Google Scholar
- Duchêne, François. 1972. Europe’s Role in World Peace. In Europe Tomorrow: Sixteen Europeans Look Ahead, ed. Richard Mayne. London: Fontana.Google Scholar
- International Energy Agency. 2017. IEA Finds CO2 Emissions Flat for Third Straight Year Even as Global Economy Grew in 2016. https://www.iea.org/newsroom/news/2017/march/iea-finds-co2-emissions-flat-for-third-straight-year-even-as-global-economy-grew.html. Accessed 9 Apr 2017.
- Jordan, Andrew, and Camilla Adelle, eds. 2012. Environmental Policy in the EU: Actors, Institutions and Processes. 3rd ed. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Jupille, Joseph, and James A. Caporaso. 1998. States, Agency, and Rules: The European Union in Global Environmental Politics. In The European Union in the World Community, ed. Carolyn Rhodes, 213–229. Boulder: Lynne Rienner.Google Scholar
- Knill, Christoph, and Duncan Liefferink. 2007. Environmental Politics in the European Union: Policy-Making, Implementation and Patterns of Multi-level Governance. Manchester: Manchester University Press.Google Scholar
- Weale, Albert, Geoffrey Pridham, Michelle Cini, Dimitrios Konstadakopulos, Martin Porter, and Brendan Flynn. 2000. Environmental Governance in Europe: An Ever Closer Ecological Union? Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar