The Role of the United States’ Quasi-Alliances in Asia: Shadow Puppetry or Hard Alliances?
How are alliances maintained? To answer this question, linguistic tools like representational force recognize the power differentials of states and trace how members end up acquiescing with the demands of other powers. This framework can be applied to the US’ alliances in Asia. In the face of crises, alliances deploy representational force in order to stabilize their relationship. In the short term, this takes precedence over addressing the actual threat. The US-Japan alliance faced a crisis during the War on Terror, while the US-Philippine alliance faces a crisis in the South China Sea. Here, representational force was used to stabilize the alliance. Doing so was necessary for both sides to attain convergence and address the crisis at large.
The author would like to thank the Fulbright Program and the Japan Foundation for the United States-ASEAN Fellowship (2013) and the Japanese Studies Fellowship (2014) that made data gathering for this project possible.
- Agence France-Presse. 2016. Duterte on Killings: Corrupt Journalists Asked for It. Rappler. Available at http://www.rappler.com/nation/134921-duterte-endorses-killing-corrupt-journalists. Accessed 23 Aug 2016.
- Amador, J. III. 2013. The Philippines’ Security Cooperation with the United States and Japan. Asia Pacific Bulletin 227. Available at http://www.eastwestcenter.org/sites/default/files/private/apb227.pdf. Accessed 25 Aug 2013.
- Amador, J., and K.M. Pabeliña. 2014. PH-US Security Relations: Deepening the Alliance. Rappler. Available at http://www.rappler.com/thought-leaders/56518-ph-us-enhanced-defense-cooperation-agreement. Accessed 19 Sept 2014.
- Bitzinger, R.A. 2012. Will the US Pivot Trigger a New Regional Arms Race? Global Asia 7 (4): 34–37.Google Scholar
- Chalk, P. 2014. Rebuilding While Performing: Military Modernisation in the Philippines. Australian Strategic Policy Institute Special Report, Canberra.Google Scholar
- Clinton, H. 2011. America’s Pacific Century. Foreign Policy. Available at http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2011/10/11/americas_pacific_century. Accessed 28 Mar 2013.
- Cronin, P.M. 2012. As the World Rebalances in the Asian-Pacific Century, So Must the United States. Global Asia 7 (4): 8–13.Google Scholar
- Domonoske, Camila. 2016. Under New Philippine President, Nearly 1800 Have Died in Extrajudicial Killings. NPR. Available at http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/08/22/490944191/under-new-philippine-president-nearly-1-800-have-died-in-extrajudicial-killings. Accessed 23 Aug 2016.
- Hughes, C. 2004a. Japan’s Re-emergence as a “Normal” Military Power. Adelphi Papers 368.Google Scholar
- McDevitt, M. 2012. America’s New Security Strategy Dimension and Its Military Dimension. Global Asia 7 (4): 14–17.Google Scholar
- Mearsheimer, J.J. 2001. The Tragedy of Great Power Politics. New York: Norton.Google Scholar
- Permanent Court of Arbitration. 2016. Press Release: The South China Sea Arbitration (The Republic of the Philippines v. The People’s Republic of China). Available at https://pca-cpa.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/175/2016/07/PH-CN-20160712-Press-Release-No-11-English.pdf. Accessed 12 July 2016.
- Prime Minister’s Office. 2001a. State at Press Conference. Available at http://japan.kantei.go.jp/koizumispeech/2001/0912kaiken_e.html. Accessed 27 May 2014.
- ———. 2001b. Opening Statement at Press Conference. Available at http://japan.kantei.go.jp/koizumispeech/2001/0919sourikaiken_e.html Accessed 27 May 2014.
- Raine, S., and C. Le Mière. 2013. Regional Order: The South China Sea Disputes. Adelphi Series. UK.Google Scholar
- Ranada, Pia. 2016. Duterte to Offer P3 Million Bounty for Drug Lords. Rappler. Available at http://www.rappler.com/nation/134924-duterte-bounty-drug-lords. Accessed 23 Aug 2016.
- ———. 2014. US-Southeast Asia Relations: Enhancing the Rebalance. Comparative Connections. Available at http://csis.org/files/publication/1402qus_seasia.pdf. Accessed 23 Sept 2014.
- ———. 1997. Alliance Politics. New York: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Thayer, C.A. 2013. U.S. Rebalancing: What Regional Support? Thayer Consultancy Background Brief. Available at http://www.scribd.com/doc/152363766/Thayer-U-S-Rebalancing-What-Regional-Support. Accessed 25 Aug 2013.
- United Nations. 2016. UN Rights Experts Urge Philippines to End Wave of Extrajudicial Killings Amid Major Drug Crackdown. UN News Centre. Available at http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=54707#.V7ueDWCKTIV. Accessed 23 Aug 2016.
- United States Embassy in the Philippines. 2016. Press Release. Available at https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-embassy-statement/. Accessed 23 Aug 2016.
- ———. 1987. The Origins of Alliances. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- White House. 2011. Remarks by President Obama to the Australian Parliament. Available at http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/11/17/remarks-president-obama-australian-parliament. Accessed 22 Aug 2013.