Measuring the Immeasurable
Sustainable disruptive social changes, such as ending embedded poverty, large-scale mobilization of volunteers, innovative crowd sourcing for knowledge and advanced learning applications, fit in a global context of transition. Social innovations such as ATK (Armen TeKort (Pooring Over)) develop strategies, concepts and new networked organizational models to achieve seemingly impossible social change. They extend and strengthen civil society through engagements from previously willing but inactive citizens in a structured manner. ATK, the social innovation project we will highlight in this article, tries to obtain social change through buddy systems. However, measuring and perfecting the ongoing learning progress of these buddy systems directed toward empowerment in order to get control over poverty is a continuous challenge.
KeywordsPoverty Social change Buddy systems Measuring tools
- Aberkane, Idriss J. 2015. Economy of Knowledge. s.n. : Fondation pour l’innovation politique. http://www.fondapol.org/en/etudes-en/idriss-j-aberkane-economy-of-knowledge/. Accessed 28 Feb 2017.
- Atkinson, Anthony B. 2015. Inequality: What Can Be Done? Harvard: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Banerjee, Abhijit, Esther Duflo, Nathanael Goldberg, Dean Karlan, Robert Osei, and William Parienté. 2015. A Multifaceted Program Causes Lasting Progress for the Very Poor: Evidence from Six Countries. Science 348 (6236). http://science.sciencemag.org/content/348/6236/1260799. Accessed 28 Feb 2017.
- Collier, P. 2007. The Bottom Billion: Why the Poorest Countries Are Failing and What Can Be Done About it. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- de Vries, Sjef. 2007. Wat werkt? De kern en de kracht van het maatschappelijk werk. Amsterdam: BV uitgeverij SWP.Google Scholar
- Easterly, W. 2006. The White Man’s Burden. Oxford/New York: The Penguin Press.Google Scholar
- Gubrium, Jaber, et al. 2001. The Sage Handbook of Interview Research. Thousand oaks: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- McNutt, John G. 2013. Social Work Practice: History and Evolution. Encyclopedia of Social Work. http://socialwork.oxfordre.com/view/10.1093/acrefore/9780199975839.001.0001/acrefore-9780199975839-e-620. Accessed 28 Feb 2017.
- Moyo, D. 2011. Dead Aid: Why and How There Is a Better Way for Africa. New York: Farrar, Strauss & Giroux.Google Scholar
- Mullainathan, Sendhil, and Eldar Shafir. 2013. Scarcity: Why Having Too Little Means So Much. New York: Times Books.Google Scholar
- Nayak, Amar K.J.R. 2016. Transition Strategies for Sustainable Community Systems: Design and Systems Perspectives. Paper presented at First Symposium on Transition Strategies for Sustainable Community Systems.Google Scholar
- Nothdurfer, Urban, and Walter Lorenz. 2010. Beyond the Pro and Contra of Evidence-Based Practice: Reflections on a Recurring Dilemma at the Core of Social Work. Social Work and Society International Online Journal 8 (1): Duisburg-Essen. http://www.socwork.net/sws/article/view/22/62 [c2004–2015; Accessed 28 Feb 2017].
- O’Hare, Thomas. 2009. Essential Skills of Social Work Practice: Assessment, Intervention, and Evaluation. Chicago: Lyceum Books.Google Scholar
- Rosenberg, M. 1965. Society and the Adolescent Self-Image. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Rosling, H., and O Rosling. 2014. How Not to Be Ignorant About the World. Ted lecture [September 2014]. https://www.ted.com/talks/hans_and_ola_rosling_how_not_to_be_ignorant_about_the_world/transcript?language=en. Accessed 28 Mar 2017.
- Sabates, Ricardo. 2008. The Impact of Lifelong Learning on Poverty Reduction, IFLL Public Value Paper. Vol. 1. Leicester: National Institute of Adult Continuing Education.Google Scholar
- Sachs, J. 2005. The End of Poverty: Economic Possibilities for Our Time. New York: Penguin Press.Google Scholar
- Soyer, Emre, and Hogarth, Robin M. 2015. Fooled by Experience. Harvard Business Review, May 2015. https://hbr.org/2015/05/fooled-by-experience. Accessed 28 Feb 2017.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., Amartya Sen, and Fitoussi Jean-Paul. 2008. Report by the Commission on the Measurement of Economic Performance and Social Progress. s.l.: Commission on the Measurement of Economic Performance and Social Progress, commission report. https://www.uio.no/studier/emner/sv/oekonomi/ECON4270/h09/Report%20in%20English.pdf. Accessed 28 Feb 2017.
- Surowiecki, James. 2004. The Wisdom of Crowds. New York: Anchor Books.Google Scholar
- Tanzi, Alex. 2017. Top 400 Billionaires’ Wealth Rises to $3.896 Trillion. Bloomberg. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-15/top-400-billionaires-wealth-rises-to-3-896-trillion. Accessed 28 Feb 2017.
- The Business of Mining. 2010. Delft: Wilfred Visser. [May 4]. https://thebusinessofmining.com/. Accessed 28 Feb 2017.
- Wikipedia. 2017a. 25 April. s.l.: Wikimedia Foundation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty. Accessed 28 Feb 2017.
- ———. 2017b. 17 February. s.l.: Wikimedia Foundation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_marshmallow_experiment. Accessed 28 Feb 2017.
- Wilkinson, R.G., and K. Pickett. 2010. The Spirit Level. Why Equality is Better for Everyone. London: Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- Wilkinson, Richard. 2012. How Economic Inequality Harms Societies. Ted.com. https://www.ted.com/talks/richard_wilkinson?language=en. Accessed 28 Feb 2017.