Corneal Diseases in Children: Surgery
This chapter will discuss corneal surgery in children, focusing on how to modify surgical techniques for pediatric patients. Indications for surgery, surgical techniques, and postoperative care will be discussed for surgeries including variations of keratoplasty, (penetrating, anterior lamellar, and endothelial), keratoprosthesis surgery, and ocular surface reconstruction. Ophthalmologists who diagnose, surgically manage, and care for children with corneal eye disease are rare and published treatment guidelines for pediatric corneal surgery are even rarer.
KeywordsPediatric keratoplasty Pediatric keratoprosthesis Pediatric endothelial keratoplasty Pediatric deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty Pediatric ocular surface reconstruction
Compliance with Ethical Requirements
Christina Prescott and Kathryn Colby declare that they have no conflict of interest. No human or animal studies were performed by the authors for this chapter.
Supplementary material 2 (MP4 306757 kb)
- Akpek EK, Aldave AJ, Aquavella JV (2012) The use of precut, γ-irradiated corneal lenticules in Boston type 1 keratoprosthesis implantation. Am J Ophthalmol 154(3):495–498Google Scholar
- Ashar JN, Ramappa M, Vaddavalli PK (2013b) Paired-eye comparison of Descemet’s stripping endothelial keratoplasty and penetrating keratoplasty in children with congenital hereditary endothelial dystrophy. Br J Ophthalmol 97(10):1247–1249Google Scholar
- Hamzaoglu EC, Straiko MD, Mayko ZM, Sáles CS, Terry MA (2015) The first 100 eyes of standardized descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty versus standardized descemet membrane endothelial keratoplasty. Ophthalmology 122(11):2193–2199Google Scholar
- Kang JJ, De La Cruz J, Cortina MS (2012) Visual outcomes of Boston keratoprosthesis implantation as the primary penetrating corneal procedure. Cornea, 1–5Google Scholar
- Karadag R, Chan TCY, Azari AA et al (2016) Survival of primary penetrating keratoplasty in children. Am J OphthalmolGoogle Scholar
- Lang SJ, Böhringer D, Reinhard T (2014) Surgical management of corneal limbal dermoids: retrospective study of different techniques and use of Mitomycin C. Eye (Lond) 28(7):857–862Google Scholar
- Reinhart WJ, Musch DC, Jacobs DS, Lee WB, Kaufman SC, Shtein RM (2011) Deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty as an alternative to penetrating keratoplasty a report by the American academy of ophthalmology. Ophthalmology 118(1): 209–218Google Scholar
- Sarnicola V, Toro P, Gentile D, Hannush SB (2010) Descemetic DALK and predescemetic DALK: outcomes in 236 cases of keratoconus. Cornea. 29(1):53–59Google Scholar