Multi-methodological Studies on the Large El Capulín Landslide in the State of Veracruz (Mexico) Open image in new window
During the last decade, the State of Veracruz (Mexico) experienced a series of intense rainfall seasons with more than 1000 registered landslides. As a consequence, more than 45,000 people had to be evacuated and resettled. Even though the mountainous areas of Veracruz are highly prone to landslides, neither susceptibility maps nor any other relevant information (distribution of landslides, geology, etc.) with high spatial resolution is available. The high social impact of the most recent landslide hazards points out the necessity of detailed investigations in the affected areas. The aim of this study is to improve the understanding of process dynamics for the landslides and to provide the base for future susceptibility mapping. As an example, a young landslide with a high complexity of nested processes from the year 2013 is selected for detailed investigations in the east Trans Mexican Volcanic Belt in the State of Veracruz, related to the complexity of the studied landslide a multi-methodological approach is applied, which includes geomorphological mapping, sediment characterization as well as geophysical methods (electrical resistivity tomography, seismic refraction tomography). Field results indicate that the studied landslide must be regarded as a reactivated older landslide body, with a variety of intricate processes and numerous secondary slides. Detailed investigations provide deep insights in the dynamics and interactions of landslide processes related to their natural and anthropogenic settings.
KeywordsLandslide Electrical resistivity tomography Seismic refraction tomography Mexico
The authors would like to thank the German Research Foundation (DFG) (Te295/19-1) and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) for funding. Furthermore, we thank the Civil Protection of Veracruz, for their cooperation. We also would like to express our appreciation to the landowners and the community of El Capulín for their help. Special thanks goes to Dr. Elizabeth Solleiro Rebolledo (UNAM) for scientific and personal support.
- Demant A (1978) Características del Eje Neovolcánico Transmexicano y sus problemas de interpretación. Revista Instituto de Geología. 2:172–187Google Scholar
- Fell R, Hartford D (1997) Landslide risk assessment. In: Cruden D, Fell R (eds) Proceedings of the international workshop on landslide risk assessment, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 19–21 Feb 1997. A.A. Balkema Rotterdam, 371p. ISBN 978-9-054-10914-3Google Scholar
- Ferrari L, Tagami T, Eguchi M, Orozco-Esquivel MT, Petron CM, Jacobo-Albarrán J, López-Martínez M (2005) Geology, geochronology and tectonic setting of late Cenozoic volcanism along the southwestern Gulf of Mexico: The Eastern Alkaline Province revisited. J Volcanol Geoth Res 146(4):284–306CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gómez-Tuena A (2002) Control Temporal del Magmatismo de Subducción en la Porción Oriental de la Faja Volcánica Transmexicana: Caracterización del Manto, Componentes en Subducción y Contaminación Cortical. Ph.D. thesis, National Autonomous University of Mexico, Mexico City, MexicoGoogle Scholar
- Gómez-Tuena A, LaGatta AB, Langmuir CH, Goldstein SL, Doherty L, Ortega-Gutiérrez F, Carrasco-Núñez G (2003) Temporal control of subduction magmatism in the eastern Trans-Mexican Volcanic Belt: Mantle sources, slab contributions, and crustal contamination. Geochem Geophys Geosyst 4–8:1–33Google Scholar
- Gómez-Tuena A, Orozco-Esquivel MT, Ferrari L (2005) Petrogénesis ígnea de la Faja Volcánica Transmexicana. Boletín de la Sociedad Geológica Mexicana. Volumen Conmemorativo del Centenario, Tomo LVII. 3:227–283Google Scholar
- López-Infanzón M (1991) Petrologic study of the volcanic rocks in the Chiconquiaco-Palma Sola area, central Veracuz, Mexico. MS thesis, Tulane University of Louisiana, New Orleans, USAGoogle Scholar
- Margottini C, Canuti P, Sassa K (eds) (2013) Landslide science and practice. Volume 7: Social and economic impact and policies. Springer, Berlin, 333p. ISBN 978-3-642-31312-7Google Scholar
- Morales-Barrera W, Rodríguez-Elizarrarás SR (2014) La Gestión del Riesgo por deslizamientos de laderas en el estado de Veracruz durante 2013. Gobierno del Estado de Veracruz. Secretaría de Protección Civil, 113p. ISBN 978-607-7527-90-9Google Scholar