“Everything has a Beginning and an End and we are on our Way”: Transformative Agency in the Colombian Preparation for Social Action Program
This chapter explores the development of youth agency and its relationship to community transformation by focusing on the Preparation for Social Action (PSA) program, an educational program developed by a Colombian NGO, FUNDAEC. Correa and Murphy-Graham draw on qualitative data from a study conducted in 2014 to describe how students develop a sense of agency and how this becomes a catalyst for individual and community change. The authors focus their findings around two elements of the program: How students begin taking action in small and concrete steps through community service and the use of individual and collective reflection exercises that allow for greater self-awareness.
- Arbab, F. (2000). Promoting a discourse on science, religion and development. In S. Harper (Ed.), The lab, the temple, and the market: Reflections at the intersection of science, religion and development (pp. 149–237). Bloomfield, CT: Kumarian Press.Google Scholar
- Arbab, F., Correa, G., & de Valcarcel, F. (1988). FUNDAEC: Its principles and its activities. Cali, Colombia: CELATER.Google Scholar
- Creswell, J. (1998). Qualitative inquiry and research design: Choosing among five traditions. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Correa, G., & Torné, F. (1995). Para salvar las barreras: El sistema de aprendizaje tutorial – SAT. Cali, Colombia: FUNDAEC. Google Scholar
- Cuesta, O. J. (2008). Reflections on rural education in the frame of communication-education. Univ. Sergio Arboleda Bogotá, Colombia, 8(15), 89–102.Google Scholar
- DANE (Departamento Administrativo Nacional de Estadística). (2005). Censo 2005. https://www.dane.gov.co/.
- Emirbayer, M., & Mische, A. (1998). What is agency? The American Journal of Sociology, 103(4), 962–1023.Google Scholar
- Farid-Arbab, S. (2016). Moral empowerment: In quest of a pedagogy. Chicago, IL: Bahá’í Publishing Trust.Google Scholar
- FUNDAEC. (2006). Preparation for social action: Education for development. Unpublished document.Google Scholar
- Kwauk, C., & Perlman-Robinson, J. (2016). Sistema de Aprendizaje tutorial: Redefining secondary education in Latin America. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution. https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/FINAL-SAT-Case-Study.pdf. Last accessed 28 Nov 2016.
- Murphy-Graham, E. (2012). Opening minds, improving lives: Education and women’s empowerment in Honduras. Nashville: Vanderbilt University Press.Google Scholar
- VanderDussen, E. (2009). A spirit of service: Conceptualizing service in learning through the preparation for social action program in Uganda. Unpublished MA thesis, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, Canada. Available online at https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/bitstream/1807/18111/1/vanderdussen_elena_200911_MA_thesis.pdf.
- Yin, R. (2003). Case study research: Design and methods. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar