Comprehensive Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Diffusion Compartment Models Towards Reliable Mapping of Brain Microstructure
Diffusion MRI is a key in-vivo non invasive imaging capability that can probe the microstructure of the brain. However, its limited resolution requires complex voxelwise generative models of the diffusion. Diffusion Compartment (DC) models divide the voxel into smaller compartments in which diffusion is homogeneous. We present a comprehensive framework for maximum likelihood estimation (MLE) of such models that jointly features ML estimators of (i) the baseline MR signal, (ii) the noise variance, (iii) compartment proportions, and (iv) diffusion-related parameters. ML estimators are key to providing reliable mapping of brain microstructure as they are asymptotically unbiased and of minimal variance. We compare our algorithm (which efficiently exploits analytical properties of MLE) to alternative implementations and a state-of-the-art strategy. Simulation results show that our approach offers the best reduction in computational burden while guaranteeing convergence of numerical estimators to the MLE. In-vivo results also reveal remarkably reliable microstructure mapping in areas as complex as the centrum semi-ovale. Our ML framework accommodates any DC model and is available freely for multi-tensor models as part of the ANIMA software (https://github.com/Inria-Visages/Anima-Public/wiki).
- 1.Farooq, H., et al.: Brain microstructure mapping from diffusion MRI using least squares variable separation. In: CDMRI (MICCAI Workshop), pp. 1–9 (2015)Google Scholar
- 2.Johnson, S.: The NLOpt package. http://ab-initio.mit.edu/nlopt
- 5.Powell, M.: The BOBYQA algorithm for bound constrained optimization without derivatives. Technical report, University of Cambridge (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Stamm, et al.: Fast identification of optimal fascicle configurations from standard clinical diffusion MRI using Akaike information criterion. In: ISBI, pp. 238–41 (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.Stamm, A., Pérez, P., Barillot, C.: A new multi-fiber model for low angular resolution diffusion MRI. In: ISBI, pp. 936–939 (2012)Google Scholar
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.