A Study on Fuzzy Cognitive Map Optimization Using Metaheuristics
Fuzzy Cognitive Maps (FCMs) are a framework based on weighted directed graphs which can be used for system modeling. The relationships between the concepts are stored in graph edges and they are expressed as real numbers from the \([-1,1]\) interval (called weights). Our goal was to evaluate the effectiveness of non-deterministic optimization algorithms which can calculate weight matrices (i.e. collections of all weights) of FCMs for synthetic and real-world time series data sets. The best results were reported for Differential Evolution (DE) with recombination based on 3 random individuals, as well as Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) where each particle is guided by its neighbors and the best particle. The choice of the algorithm was not crucial for maps of size roughly up to 10 nodes, however, the difference in performance was substantial (in the orders of magnitude) for bigger matrices.
- 1.Bicup time series. http://robjhyndman.com/tsdldata/data/bicup2006.dat. Accessed 11 Jan 2016
- 2.Rainfall time series. http://robjhyndman.com/tsdldata/data/rainfall.dat. Accessed 11 Jan 2016
- 3.Bendtsen, C.: Package ‘PSO’. https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/pso/pso.pdf. Accessed 1 Apr 2016
- 5.Eberhart, R., Kennedy, J.: A new optimizer using particle swarm theory. In: Proceedings of the Sixth International Symposium on Micro Machine and Human Science, New York, NY, vol. 1, pp. 39–43. (1995)Google Scholar
- 12.Koulouriotis, D., Diakoulakis, I., Emiris, D.: Learning fuzzy cognitive maps using evolution strategies: a novel schema for modeling and simulating high-level behavior. In: Proceedings of IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC 2001), pp. 364–371 (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.León, M., Mkrtchyan, L., Depaire, B., Ruan, D., Bello, R., Vanhoof, K.: Learning method inspired on swarm intelligence for fuzzy cognitive maps: travel behaviour modelling. In: Villa, A.E.P., Duch, W., Érdi, P., Masulli, F., Palm, G. (eds.) ICANN 2012, Part I. LNCS, vol. 7552, pp. 718–725. Springer, Heidelberg (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Papageorgiou, E.: Maps, Fuzzy Cognitive Maps for Applied Sciences and Engineering: From Fundamentals to Extensions and Learning Algorithms. Springer Science & Business Media, Heidelberg (2013)Google Scholar
- 19.Stach, W., Kurgan, L., Pedrycz, W.: A survey of fuzzy cognitive map learning methods. Issues Soft Comput.: Theor. Appl., 71–84 (2005)Google Scholar
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.