Are There New Molecular Imaging Modalities Behind the Corner?
The diagnostic work-up of locally advanced rectal cancer (LARC) has also changed thanks to recent advances in positron emission tomography-computed tomography (PET-CT) and its increasing availability. Several studies showed that FDG PET-CT accurately changed the stage with a subsequent alteration in therapy in almost one-third of patients. Moreover, FDG PET-CT capable to predict the effect of preoperative chemoradiation as well as survival.
- 2.Deleau C, Buechera B, Rousseauc C, Kraeber-Bode F, Flamanta M, des Varannesa SB, Frampasb E, Galmichea J-P, Matysiak-Budnika T (2011) Clinical impact of fluorodeoxyglucose-positron emission tomography scan/computed tomography in comparison with computed tomography on the detection of colorectal cancer recurrence. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 23:275–281CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Leccisotti L, Gambacorta MA, de Waure C, Stefanelli A, Barbaro B, Vecchio FM, Coco C, Persiani R, Crucitti A, Tortorelli AP, Giordano A, Valentini V (2015) The predictive value of 18F-FDG PET/CT for assessing pathological response and survival in locally advanced rectal cancer after neoadjuvant radiochemotherapy. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 42(5):657–666CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Maffione AM, Chondrogiannis S, Capirci C, Galeotti F, Fornasiero A, Crepaldi G, Grassetto G, Rampin L, Marzola MC, Rubello D (2014) Early prediction of response by 18F-FDG PET/CT during preoperative therapy in locally advanced rectal cancer: a systematic review. Eur J Surg Oncol 40(10):1186–1194CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.van Stiphout RG, Valentini V, Buijsen J, Lammering G, Meldolesi E, van Soest J, Leccisotti L, Giordano A, Gambacorta MA, Dekker A, Lambin P (2014) Nomogram predicting response after chemoradiotherapy in rectal cancer using sequential PETCT imaging: a multicentric prospective study with external validation. Radiother Oncol 113(2):215–222CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Dietz D, Dehdashti F, Grigsby P, Malyapa R, Myerson R, Picus J, Ritter J, Lewis J, Welch M, Siegel B (2008) Tumor hypoxia detected by positron emission tomography with 60Cu-ATSM as a predictor of response and survival in patients undergoing neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy for rectal carcinoma: a pilot study. Dis Colon Rectum 51(11):1641–1648CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 17.Wieder H, Geinitz H, Rosenberg R, Lordick F, Becker K, Stahl A, Rummeny E, Siewert J, Schwaiger M, Stollfuss J (2007) PET imaging with [18F]3′-deoxy-3′-fluorothymidine for prediction of response to neoadjuvant treatment in patients with rectal cancer. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 34(6):878–883CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar