I was in my first week as a newly graduated doctor when I encountered a vaccine-skeptic – a patient who was convinced vaccines were dangerous and could weaken the human race. I remember thinking – as a doctor, I am supposed to take a detailed history, but I hope you forgive me if I switch off just for a little bit, because right now isn’t the time for this debate. You learn something at medical school and immediately try to tell people about it, but you can’t convince them – not easily, anyway. Especially if you have been indoctrinated with factual information along the lines of this: an estimated 1.5 million children die each year—one every 20 s—from vaccine-preventable diseases such as diarrhea and pneumonia.
KeywordsMeasle Vaccine AIDS Epidemic Vaccine Shortage Amyl Nitrate Salk Vaccine
- 1.Offit PA. The cutter incident, 50 years later. N Engl J Med. 2005;352:1411–1412. DOI 10.1056/NEJMp048180
- 2.Reidl S. Edward Jenner and the history of smallpox and vaccination. Baylor Univ Med Centre Proc. 2005;18:21–25.Google Scholar
- 4.Marshall GS. The vaccine handbook: a practical guide for clinicians: the purple book. New York: Professional Communications, PCI Books; 2010.Google Scholar
- 5.Parry E. Principles of medicine in Africa. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 2004.Google Scholar
- 6.Alba-Lois L, Segal-Kischinevzky C. Beer & wine makers. Nat Educ. 2010;3(9):17.Google Scholar
- 7.The Vaccine Knowledge project. University of Oxford. http://www.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vaccine-ingredients#yeast%20proteins. Accessed 25 Dec 2015.
- 8.Flam F. Vaccines that alter evolution. Forbes. Pharma and Healthcare section, July 28, 2015.Google Scholar
- 9.The AIDS Epidemic. 7 ed. Burlington, Massachusetts, United States: Jones & Bartlett Learning; 2013.Google Scholar
- 10.Chan J. Scaling up the Ebola response: what we learned from AIDS activism. J AIDS HIV Infect. 2015;1(1):1–5.Google Scholar
- 11.Regules JA and Others. A recombinant vesicular stomatitis virus Ebola vaccine — preliminary report. N Engl J Med. 2017 Jan 26;376(4):330–341. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1414216. epub Apr 1, 2015.
- 12.Henao-Restrepo AM and Others. Efficacy and effectiveness of an rVSV-vectored vaccine expressing Ebola surface glycoprotein: interim results from the Guinea ring vaccination cluster-randomised trial. Lancet. 2015.Google Scholar