The epilogue considers, in view of the economic shock of 2007–2008, how profound lessons about Irish political and cultural anxieties have emerged as exemplified by relations with the diaspora. It is argued that new narratives of Irish migrant experience, including those of immigrants to Ireland, are unfolding on a scale that demands urgent attention. Relations with the diaspora cannot be focused overly on tourism: that issues such as overseas voting and removing the barriers currently faced by Irish return migrants need to be addressed.
- Akenson, Donald H. 1996. The Irish Diaspora: A Primer. Toronto: PD Meany.Google Scholar
- Byrne, Gabriel. 2012. Gabriel Byrne Slams the Gathering. Irish Times, November 5. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/gabriel-byrne-slams-the-gathering-1.746675. Accessed 22 Jan 2017.
- Delaney, Enda. 2002. Irish Emigration Since 1921. Dublin: Dundalgan.Google Scholar
- ———. 2007. Transnationalism, Networks and Emigration from Post-War Ireland. In Irish Migration, Networks and Ethnic Identities Since 1750, ed. E. Delaney and D.M. MacRaild, 276–297. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Nedelcu, Michaela, and Malika Wyss. 2016. “Doing Family” Through ICT-mediated Ordinary Co-presence: Transnational Communication Practices of Romanian Migrants in Switzerland. Global Networks 16 (2): 202–218.Google Scholar
- Ní Laoire, Caitríona. 2008. Complicating Host-Newcomer Dualisms: Irish Return Migrants as Home-comers or Newcomers? Translocations 4 (1): 35–50.Google Scholar
- RTÉ News. 2016. Call to Help Returning Emigrants Faced with Obstacles, February 15. https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0215/852811-emigration-emigrants-rural-ireland/
- Ryan, Louise. 2015. “It’s Different Now”: A Narrative Analysis of Recent Irish Migrants Making Sense of Migration and Comparing Themselves with Previous Waves of Migrants. Irish Journal of Sociology 23 (2): 114–132.Google Scholar
- Sullivan, Thomas. 2016. “Hip to Be Irish”: Ethnicity and Bourdieu’s “Forms of Capital.” Ethnic and Racial Studies 39 (10): 1773–1790.Google Scholar
- Vaughan, Jill. 2016. Landscapes of the Irish Language: Discursive Constructions of Authenticity in the Irish Diaspora. Irish Journal of Applied Social Studies 16 (1): 56–76.Google Scholar
- Wallerstein, Immanuel. 1974. The Modern World-System. New York: Academic Press.Google Scholar