The use of 3D ultrasonography in urology is a recent acquisition. The versatility of the 3D US device, as well as the huge potential offered by image acquisition on a third scanning plane, makes the method extremely interesting for diagnostic purposes to make in-depth studies of urological diseases that can be studied by ultrasonography.
3D US devices are designed to acquire a large number of images for display on the monitor showing the sagittal, transverse, and coronal planes simultaneously. The organ that has been most closely studied in urology with the 3D US device is surely the prostate. Owing to its particular anatomical position, the prostate gland is ideally suited to US studies of normal or pathological characteristics. 3D US provides important information about the organ morphology and volumetrics, as well as playing a promising role in the diagnostic workup of prostatic carcinoma. 3D Doppler is numbered among the various fields of application of the method because it allows a three-dimensional view of the vascular tree both in the kidney (normal, pathological, transplanted) and in the external genitals, enabling close study of any vascular disorders present.
(MP4 79407 kb)
- 3.Walter WJ IIIa, Nyea JA, Schustera DM, Niehb PT, Masterb VA, Votawa JR, Feia B (2013) Accuracy evaluation of a 3D ultrasound-guided biopsy system. NIH 8671. doi: 10.1117/12.2007695
- 4.Silva-Ramos M, Louro N, Versos R, Cavadas V, Marcelo F (2012) Does 3D ultrasound enhance the diagnosis of bladder tumours in patients with haematuria? ISRN Urol 2012:158437, 5 pages. doi: 10.5402/2012/158437
- 5.Martino P, Palazzo S, Selvaggi FP (2000) Ecografia tridimensionale digitale in urologia. Arch Ital Urol Androl LXXII(4):163–167Google Scholar
- 6.Pichler R, Buttazzoni A, Bektic J, Schlenck B, Radmayr C, Rehder P, Oswald J (2011) Endoscopic treatment of vesicoureteral reflux using dextranomer/hyaluronic acid copolymer in children: results of postoperative follow-up with real-time 3D sonography. Urol Int 87(2):192–198. doi: 10.1159/000327609, Epub 2011 Aug 24CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Wozniak MM, Pawelec A, Wieczorek AP, Zajczkowska MM, Nachulewicz P, Borzcka H, Lublin/PL (2014) The usefulness of 3D/4D techniques during voiding urosonography (VUS) in the diagnostics and monitoring of treatment of vesicoureteral reflux in children. European Society of Radiology. ECR 2014 poster C0344. doi: 10.1594/ecr2014/C-0344