How Does the Traffic Behavior Change by Using In-Vehicle Signage for Speed Limits in Urban Areas?
Speeding is a major risk factor for accidents. Reminding the driver of the current speed limit might improve traffic safety. The impact of In-Vehicle Signage (IVS) for speed limits via Car2Infrastructure communication was investigated in a test field in Tampere (Finland). The test field results show that IVS has a positive influence on the speed of the drivers of the equipped vehicle. Different scenarios for the estimated penetration rates of equipped vehicles were set up to see the overall effects on the traffic efficiency by IVS. The effects on the traffic efficiency were simulated in SUMO. The simulation results show that no benefit in traffic efficiency for all traffic participants could be reached by IVS.
KeywordsC2X In-vehicle signage Traffic efficiency
- 1.National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: Traffic Safety Facts: 2012 Data. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/812021.pdf. Accessed 25 June 2015
- 2.Hegyi A, Netten BD, Wang M, Schakel WJ, Schreiter T, Yuan Y, Arem B, van Alkim, T (2013) A cooperative systems based variable speed limit control algorithm against jam waves - an extension of the SPECIALIST algorithm. Proceedings of the 16th international IEEE annual conference on intelligent transportation systems (ITSC 2013),The Hague, pp 973–978, Oct 6–9, 2013Google Scholar
- 3.Forster M, Frank R, Engel T (2013) A study on highway traffic flow optimization using partial velocity synchronization. In: Proceedings of the 1st GI/ITG KuVS fachgespräch inter-vehicle communication (FG-IVC 2013) technical report CCS-2013-01, 19–22Google Scholar
- 4.DRIVE C2X (2015) http://www.drive-c2x.eu/test-sites. Accessed 23. Jan 2015
- 5.Krajzewicz D, Erdmann J, Behrisch M, Bieker L (2012) Recent development and applications of SUMO - simulation of urban mobility. Int J Adv Syst Meas 5(3, 4):128–138Google Scholar
- 6.DRIVE C2X Deliverable D 11.4 Impacts of cooperative systems and user perception. http://www.drive-c2x.eu/tl_files/publications/Deliverables%20and%20abstracts/DRIVE%20C2X_D11.4_Impact_Assessment_v1.0_full%20version.pdf. Accessed 23 Jan 2015