Development of a Design of a Drop‐In Hydrogen Fueling Station to Support the Early Market Buildout of Hydrogen Infrastructure: Topic-9
This chapter provides a design of a drop-in hydrogen fueling station. Drop-in stations are expected to be an important factor in the introduction of hydrogen fueling infrastructure. The stations not only allow a streamlined introduction of hydrogen in the vehicle fueling infrastructure but also act as mini pilot plants that can allow for detailed control studies. The effect of the location and availability of utilities, the closeness of stations to residential areas, safety concerns, general attitudes toward hydrogen, and others are some of the issues that arise with such drop-in stations. The proposed design of a drop-in station mainly considers off-the-shelf items and is conceptualized to be implemented at the Missouri University of Science and Technology. The modular design approach, with the off-the-shelf items, allows for a design with the capacity for mass production and an ease in transport and integration.
The authors wish to thank the Hydrogen Design Solutions Team at the Missouri University of Science and Technology.
- 1.The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) (2013) International energy outlook 2013: July 2013: DOE/EIA-0484Google Scholar
- 5.Nuvera (2014) PowerTapTM specification sheet http://www.nuvera.com/images/PDFs/PowerTap-PTS001-RevA.pdf. Accessed 8 Nov 2014
- 6.Ali DM, Salman SK (2006) A comprehensive review of the fuel cells technology and hydrogen economy. In: Paper presented at the 41st international universities power engineering conference, conference proceedings UPEC 2006:1 98-102Google Scholar
- 7.Adapted from Missouri S&T Master Plan (2014) http://www.phyfac-eb.mst.edu/dcm/pdf/masterplan.pdf
- 8.Hydro-Pac Proposal EST14-0263Google Scholar
- 9.Email proposal from FIBA Technologies, Inc.Google Scholar
- 10.Air Products SmartFuelTM H70/H35 retail hydrogen dispenser specification sheetGoogle Scholar
- 11.Affordable Home Electronics specification sheet http://www.affordablehomeelectronics.com/supercircuits-pc508ir-3-ultralongrange450feetvandalproofinfraredsecuritycamera.aspx. Accessed 8 Nov 2014
- 12.Direct Industry specification sheet http://www.directindustry.com/prod/h2scan/hydrogen-detectors-40428-1354771.html. Accessed 8 Nov 2014
- 13.Parker specification sheet http://ph.parker.com/us/en/pressure-relief-valve. Accessed 8 Nov 2014
- 14.Buy Fire Alarm Part specification sheet https://www.buyfirealarmparts.com/shop/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/5049/s/bosch-d273thc/?gclid=CKSijNHv_cMCFQqDaQod40oAVw. Accessed 8 Nov 2014
- 15.SSI Fire & Explosion Protection specification sheet http://www.suppressionsystems.com/fire_supp.html. Accessed 8 Nov 2014
- 16.Mansion House specification sheet http://mansionhouse.info/honeywell-home-alarm-systems/. Accessed 8 Nov 2014
- 17.Hydrogen Student Design Contest Official Rules and Guidelines (2014) http://hydrogencontest.org/pdf/2014%20Official%20Rules%20and%20Guidelines%20v1.1.pdf
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.