Energetic and Functional Upgrading of School Buildings
In Italy, currently most schools require improvements to energy performance and indoor air quality. On the other hand, school buildings require structural assessment and strong renovation interventions to maintain their service functionality. Moreover, the use of spaces should be reviewed and redesigned to be more compatible with modern educational models, making the schools unique integrated spaces. Each space should have the same dignity and flexibility, meeting anticipated future needs and expectations and offering a positive environment that should support learning, teaching and recreational activities. The national government has recently launched policies and plans to face up to this situation, imposing some guidelines to incentivise the actions of local municipalities. The challenge as well as the aim of this research is to verify the possibility of combining energy retrofits with functional renovations as a unique approach to taking action, exploring the conditions and measures to create synergy. As a case study, school buildings in a medium-sized city, Castelfranco Veneto, in the north-eastern part of Italy were analyzed with the aim of defining a method of intervention on different functional layouts. In a first phase of the work, all 21 schools present in the area were analyzed. Subsequently, three groups of buildings with homogeneous characteristics in terms of age, construction technologies, and shape factors were identified. Finally, a case study for each group was analyzed in detail and a proposal for improvements to the energy efficiency and functionality was presented. In this chapter, one of the case studies is presented.
- 1.Linee Guida MIUR, Norme tecniche quadro edilizia scolastica, 26 Marzo 2013, Italian Ministry of Education, University, and Research (MIUR)Google Scholar
- 2.Hertzberger H (2007) Space and learning. 010 Publishers, RotterdamGoogle Scholar
- 3.Fisher K (2006) Linking pedagogy and space. Department of Education and Training, VictoriaGoogle Scholar
- 4.Norme tecniche aggiornate relative all'edilizia scolastica, Decreto Ministeriale 18 Dicembre 1975, Italian Ministry of EducationGoogle Scholar
- 5.ENEA FIRE Guida per il contenimento della spesa energetica delle scuole, Centro Ricerche Casaccia, Roma, 2004Google Scholar
- 6.UNI TS 11300-1 (10/2014): Prestazioni energetiche degli edifici, Parte 1. Determinazione del fabbisogno di energia termica dell’edificio per la climatizzazione estiva ed invernaleGoogle Scholar
- 7.UNI TS 11300-2 (10/2014): Prestazioni energetiche degli edifici, Parte 2. Determinazione del fabbisogno di energia primaria e dei rendimenti per la climatizzazione invernaleGoogle Scholar
- 8.Strand RK, Crawley DB, Pedersen CO, Liesen RJ, Lawrie LK, Winkelmann FC, Buhl WF, Huang J, Fisher DE (2000) EnergyPlus: a new-generation energy analysis and load calculation engine for building design, Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture. Proceedings of the ACSA Technology Conference, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 14–17 July 2000
- 9.Prezziario regionale dei lavori pubblici del Veneto (2013) http://www.regione.veneto.it/web/lavori-pubblici/prezzario-regionale (ultima visita marzo 2015)
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.