Building Thermal Exergy Analysis
The energy and environmental impacts due to energy consumption in the building sector are one of the main topics in the global energy field. A building is an energy system that uses energy sources in order to maintain its functionality and to ensure thermal indoor comfort for its occupants. Exergy analysis is a way to assess the impact of an energy system on the environment. This chapter introduces a model able to describe the interaction between a building and its surroundings from an exergetic point of view. The building is considered as a so-called black box, evaluating the exergy of overall energy and matter fluxes that cross the system boundaries. In this way it is possible to evaluate the exergy balance of the system and particularly the destroyed exergy. The exergy destruction percentage can be understood as a building environmental impact indicator. To illustrate the model and its operating suitability, an existing building was analyzed using the transient simulation software Trnsys. The modeling results show that about 95 % of the exergy used from the building is destroyed and that about 5 % is lost (transferred to the surroundings). This means that this building has very high impact. The model can be applied to assess the effectiveness of different building energy retrofit strategies. Through Trnsys modeling some conventional and advanced retrofit strategies, as well as on-site renewable energy utilization, are analyzed. The chapter presents the main analysis results, showing which of these strategies are able to reduce the building’s exergy demand and, hence, the building’s impact.
KeywordsExergy Energy retrofit Building impact Transient analysis
- 5.Leoncini L (2014) Analisi degli scenari energetici europei e sviluppo di un criterio di valutazione exergetica del sistema edificio. PhD Thesis, Università degli Studi di FirenzeGoogle Scholar
- 11.ECBCS ANNEX 37 (2004) Heating and cooling with focus on increased energy efficiency and improved comfort. Guidebook to IEA ECBCS Annex 37 low exergy systems for heating and cooling of buildingsGoogle Scholar
- 12.ECBCS ANNEX 49 (2011) Low exergy systems for high-performance buildings and communities—Annex 49 Final ReportGoogle Scholar
- 13.Transient System Simulation Tool [Internet]. www.trnsys.com
- 14.Transsolar [Internet]. www.transsolar.com
- 15.Sketchup [Internet]. www.Sketchup.com
- 16.Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy [Internet]. http://apps1.eere.energy.gov
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.