Semi-Empirical Models for the Estimation of Global Solar Irradiance Measurements in Morocco
This chapter presents semi-empirical models for estimating global horizontal irradiance (GHI) under specific sky conditions. We analysed the models to estimate GHI measurements in four regions of Morocco. The data consist of a 1-year period at four solar irradiance monitoring stations located in the south of the country, Missour (32.86°N, −4.11°E), Erfoud (31.49°N, −4.22°E), Zagora (30.27°N, −5.85°E) and Tantan (28.50°N, −11.32°E). Several empirical clear sky models are considered for a Moroccan case study. These models are validated using GHI measurements from different stations over different time periods.
The disagreement between the various measurements of GHI and the semi-empirical models used for the estimation of radiation in atmospheric physics and radiative transfer modelling is sometimes significant, especially in the presence of clouds or large concentrations of aerosols. A good agreement is noticed between the measured values and those estimated by some models.
KeywordsSolar irradiation Global horizontal irradiance Direct normal irradiance Diffuse horizontal irradiance Semi-empirical models
Solar constant, 1367 W.m−2
Extraterrestrial solar irradiance
Global solar irradiance, W m−2
Direct solar irradiance, W m−2
- Ida ,Idm
Diffuse solar irradiance, W m−2
Zenith angle in degrees
Ozone absorption coefficient
Water vapour absorption
Transmittance of aerosol absorptance
- τ0 = (1 − α0)
Transmittance of ozone absorptance
Rayleigh scattering transmission
Transmittance of aerosol absorptance and scattering
- 1.Hanif M, Ramzan M, Aamir M, Rahman M, Khan M, Amin M (2012) Studying power output of PV solar panels at different temperatures and tilt angles. ISESCO J Sci Technol 8(1):9–12Google Scholar
- 3.Mesri-Merad M, Rougab I, Cheknane A, Bachari NI (2012) Estimation du rayonnement solaire au sol par des modèles semi-empiriques. Revue des Energies Renouvelebles 15(3):451–463Google Scholar
- 4.Koussa M, Malek A, Haddadi M (2006) Validation de quelques modèles de reconstitution des éclairements dus au rayonnement solaire direct, diffuse et global par ciel clair. Revue des Energies Renouvelables 9(4):307–332Google Scholar
- 8.Bird RE, Hulstrom RL (1981) A simplified clear sky model for direct and diffuse insolation on horizontal surfaces, February 1981, SERI/TR, pp 642–761Google Scholar
- 9.Davies JA, Hay JE (1979) Calculation of the solar radiation incident on a horizontal surface. In: Proceedings of first Canadian solar radiation data workshop, 17–19 April, 1978, Canadian Atmospheric Environment ServiceGoogle Scholar
- 12.Bird RE, Hulstrom RL (1980) Direct insolation models. Solar Energy Research Institute, Golden. SERI/TR, pp 335–344Google Scholar
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.