Detecting Methane Outbreaks from Time Series Data with Deep Neural Networks
Hazard monitoring systems play a key role in ensuring people’s safety. The problem of detecting dangerous levels of methane concentration in a coal mine was a subject of IJCRS’15 Data Challenge competition. The challenge was to predict, from multivariate time series data collected by sensors, if methane concentration reaches a dangerous level in the near future. In this paper we present our solution to this problem based on the ensemble of Deep Neural Networks. In particular, we focus on Recurrent Neural Networks with Long Short-Term Memory (LSTM) cells.
KeywordsMachine learning Recurrent neural networks Ensemble methods Time series forecasting Hazard monitoring systems
- 1.Bahdanau, D., Cho, K., Bengio, Y.: Neural machine translation by jointly learning to align and translate. CoRR abs/1409.0473 (2014). http://arxiv.org/abs/1409.0473
- 3.Collobert, R., Kavukcuoglu, K., Farabet, C.: Torch7: A matlab-like environment for machine learning. In: BigLearn, NIPS Workshop, No. EPFL-CONF-192376 (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Freund, Y., Schapire, R., Abe, N.: A short introduction to boosting. J.-Jpn. Soc. Artif. Intell. 14(771–780), 1612 (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Graves, A., Mohamed, A.R., Hinton, G.: Speech recognition with deep recurrent neural networks. In: IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP) 2013, pp. 6645–6649. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Graves, A.: Generating sequences with recurrent neural networks, CoRR abs/1308.0850 (2013). http://arxiv.org/abs/1308.0850
- 13.Graves, A., Wayne, G., Danihelka, I.: Neural turing machines, CoRR abs/1410.5401 (2014). http://arxiv.org/abs/1410.5401
- 14.Hinton, G., Deng, L., Yu, D., Dahl, G.E., Mohamed, A.R., Jaitly, N., Senior, A., Vanhoucke, V., Nguyen, P., Sainath, T.N., et al.: Deep neural networks for acoustic modeling in speech recognition: the shared views of four research groups. IEEE Signal Process. Mag. 29(6), 82–97 (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Janusz, A., Ślęzak, D., Sikora, M., Wróbel, L., Stawicki, S., Grzegorowski, M., Wojtas, P.: Mining data from coal mines: IJCRS 2015 data challenge. In: Proceedings of IJCRS 2015. LNCS, Springer (2015), in print November 2015Google Scholar
- 17.Krizhevsky, A., Sutskever, I., Hinton, G.E.: Imagenet classification with deep convolutional neural networks. In: Advances in neural information processing systems, pp. 1097–1105 (2012)Google Scholar
- 18.Le, Q.V.: Building high-level features using large scale unsupervised learning. In: IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP) 2013, pp. 8595–8598. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 21.Sundermeyer, M., Schlüter, R., Ney, H.: Lstm neural networks for language modeling. In: INTERSPEECH (2012)Google Scholar
- 22.Sutskever, I., Vinyals, O., Le, Q.V.: Sequence to sequence learning with neural networks. In: Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, pp. 3104–3112 (2014)Google Scholar
- 24.Werbos, P.: Beyond regression: new tools for prediction and analysis in the behavioral sciences, Ph.D. thesis, Harvard University, Cambridge (1974)Google Scholar
- 27.Zaremba, W., Sutskever, I., Vinyals, O.: Recurrent neural network regularization, CoRR abs/1409.2329 (2014). http://arxiv.org/abs/1409.2329
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.