Mining Data from Coal Mines: IJCRS’15 Data Challenge
We summarize the data mining competition associated with IJCRS’15 conference – IJCRS’15 Data Challenge: Mining Data from Coal Mines, organized at Knowledge Pit web platform. The topic of this competition was related to the problem of active safety monitoring in underground corridors. In particular, the task was to design an efficient method of predicting dangerous concentrations of methane in longwalls of a Polish coal mine. We describe the scope and motivation for the competition. We also report the course of the contest and briefly discuss a few of the most interesting solutions submitted by participants. Finally, we reveal our plans for the future research within this important subject.
KeywordsData mining competitions Time series data Attribute engineering Feature extraction High dimensional data.
- 1.Kozielski, M., Skowron, A., Wróbel, Ł., Sikora, M.: Regression rule learning for methane forecasting in coal mines. In: Kozielski, S., Mrozek, D., Kasprowski, P., Malysiak-Mrozek, B., Kostrzewa, D. (eds.) BDAS 2015, pp. 495–504. Springer, Cham (2015)Google Scholar
- 2.Krasuski, A., Jankowski, A., Skowron, A., Ślęzak, D.: From sensory data to decision making: a perspective on supporting a fire commander. In: Proceedings of WI-IAT 2013 Workshops, pp. 229–236. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Grzegorowski, M., Stawicki, S.: Window-based feature extraction framework for multi-sensor data: a posture recognition case study. In Ganzha, M., Maciaszek, L.A., Paprzycki, M. (eds.) Proceedings of FedCSIS 2015. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Kabiesz, J., Sikora, B., Sikora, M., Wróbel, Ł.: Application of rule-based models for seismic hazard prediction in coal mines. Acta Montanist. Slovaca 18(4), 262–277 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Janusz, A., xc, A., Stawicki, S., Rosiak, M., Ślęzak, D., Nguyen, H.S.: Key risk factors for polish state fire service: a data mining competition at knowledge pit. In: Ganzha, M., Maciaszek, L.A., Paprzycki, M., (eds.) Proceedings of FedCSIS 2014, pp. 345–354. IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.R Development Core Team: R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Boullé, M.: Tagging fireworkers activities from body sensors under distribution drift. In: Ganzha, M., Maciaszek, L.A., Paprzycki, M. (eds.) Proceedings of FedCSIS 2015. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.