Connectedness of Graph and Matroid by Covering-Based Rough Sets
Covering-based rough sets provide an efficient theory to process information in data mining. Matroid theory is a generalization of both linear algebra and graph theory, and has a variety of applications in many fields, such as covering-based rough sets. In this paper, we study the connectedness of graphs and matroids through covering-based rough sets. First, we present an approach to induce a covering by a graph. Then we use the covering upper approximation operator and the rank of matrix representation of the covering to study the connectedness of the graph. Moreover, we give the expression of the number of the connected components of a graph. Second, we establish a matroid based on the covering induced by a graph and study the connectedness of this matroid.
KeywordsCovering-based rough set Matroid Graph Connectedness Granular computing
This work is in part supported by The National Nature Science Foundation of China under Grant Nos. 61170128, 61379049 and 61379089, the Key Project of Education Department of Fujian Province under Grant No. JA13192, and the Science and Technology Key Project of Fujian Province, China Grant No. 2012H0043.
- 3.Wu, W., Zhang, W.: Rough set approximations vs. measurable spaces (in chinese). In: Granular Computing (GrC), 2006 IEEE International Conference on Granular Computing, pp. 329–332. IEEE Press, China (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Wang, S., Zhu, W., Zhu, Q., Min, F.: Covering base. J. Inf. Comput. Sci. 9, 1343–1355 (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Huang, A., Zhu, W.: Connectedness of graphs and its application to connected matroids through covering-based rough sets. arXiv preprint arXiv:1312.4234 (2013)
- 12.Lai, H.: Matroid Theory. Higher Education Press, Beijing (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.Liu, Y., Zhu, W.: Characteristic of partition-circuit matroid through approximation number. In: Granular Computing (GrC), 2012 IEEE International Conference on Granular Computing, pp. 314–319. IEEE Press, Hangzhou (2012)Google Scholar
- 19.West, D.B., et al.: Introduction to Graph Theory. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River (2001)Google Scholar
- 20.Wang, S., Zhu, Q., Zhu, W., Min, F.: Equivalent characterizations of some graph problems by covering-based rough sets. J. Appl. Math. (2013)Google Scholar
- 21.Wang, Z.: Graph Theory. Beijing Institute of Technology Press, Beijing (2002) Google Scholar
Open Access This chapter is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/), which permits any noncommercial use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license and indicate if changes were made.
The images or other third party material in this chapter are included in the chapter's Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the chapter's Creative Commons license and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder.