Surveying the Adoption of FLOSS by Public Administration Local Organizations
Background. The introduction of Open Source Software technologies in the Public Administration plays a key role in the spread of Open Source Software. The state of the art in the adoption of Open Source Software solutions in the Public Administration is not very well known even in areas like Lombardy, which is Italy’s largest and most developed region.
Goal. The goal of the investigation documented in this paper is to obtain a clear picture about the introduction of Open Source Software technologies in the Public Administration, the obstacles to their adoption, and the willingness of stakeholders to proceed with their introduction.
Method. We carried out a qualitative and quantitative survey that was submitted to a representative part of the Public Administrations in Lombardy.
Results. The analysis of the qualitative and quantitative information shows that several Public Administrations are already using Open Source Software technologies, though not in all application areas. The savings are one frequently cited incentive to the adoption of Open Source Software. However, one obstacle is the fact that a comprehensive law on software in the Public Administration has not yet been approved.
Conclusions. Our analysis provides results that indicate a common understanding of incentives, obstacles, and opportunities for Open Source Software technologies in Public Administrations.
KeywordsPublic administrations FLOSS adoption Survey Italy
- 1.Open Government Partnership: Action Plan Italiano, April 2011. http://goo.gl/qybte
- 2.Berners-Lee, T., Shadbolt, N.: There’s gold to be mined from all our data. http://www.theodi.org/sites/default/files/Times%20OpEd%20TBL-NRS%20Final.pdf
- 4.Open Source Initiative. The Open Source Definition. http://opensource.org/docs/osd
- 5.Decreto Legislativo 18 Agosto 2000, n. 267. Testo unico delle leggi sull’ordinamento degli enti locali. Gazzetta Ufficiale n. 227 del 28 Settembre 2000 – Supplemento n. 162Google Scholar
- 6.Direttiva 19 Dicembre 2003. Sviluppo ed utilizzazione dei programmi informatici da parte delle pubbliche amministrazioni. Gazzetta Ufficiale n. 31 del 7 Febbraio 2004Google Scholar
- 7.Open Cloud Manifesto. www.opencloudmanifesto.org/
- 9.Lavazza, L., Morasca, S., Taibi, D., Tosi, D.: An empirical investigation of perceived reliability of open source java programs. In: 27th ACM Symp. on Applied Computing (SAC 2012), Riva del Garda, March 2012Google Scholar
- 10.Friso, C., Lenarduzzi, V., Taibi, D., Tosi, D.: How open source software products can support teaching in italian schools. In: 5th European Conf. on Information Management and Evaluation. Como., September 2011Google Scholar
- 12.Maldonado, E.: The process of introducing FLOSS in the PA: the case of Venezuela. Journal of the Association for Information Systems 11(11), 756–783 (2010)Google Scholar